Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Photographing trees for book

Posted by greenlarry UK 8/9 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 24, 07 at 16:26

I've long fancied combining my photography skills with my love of trees and putting together a book on my local trees. I can get round the business of capturing them on film as it were but how do you go about the whole book writing/publishing side of it? Anyone on here wrote a book of any kind?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Photographing trees for book

• Posted by ocollin 4b Brome Lake, Quebe (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 28, 07 at 6:43

Hi greenlarry !

It all depends on what you think the market is going to be. If you are just going to ptint 20 books for family and friends there is a web based company that can do that. (I'll try to remember the name).

If you think it is going to be be a unique, high quality book you'll need to "sell" the idea to a publisher who will print it, distibute it and send you a comission(10% I think)

If you think it's something inbetween say 1 or 2 thousand books you could hire someone like me (graphic artist/printer) to layout and print and you sell the books yourself through clubs/forums etc...

Hope that helps,

Steve O'Collin

o
Thanks Steve

I'm not quite sure yet,I need to do a lot of digging. What I'd like to do is a book for my town,for the residents to look at and learn about what wonders are on their doorstep. I bet many would be surprised to know there are so many old and rare trees nearby,including 2 huge Wellingtonias of national importance,a stand of mature english elm untouched by dutch elm disease and a very rare Koelreuteria! One idea someone suggested was an article for a local newspaper,drumming up some interest. Like I say I need to find out what's out there and how to begin writing(never done it before professionally)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here