Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help to identify bush with berries

Posted by mitsys_heart 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 24, 08 at 19:30

A friend of mine has what appears to be a bush, plant or shrub. It is growing upright from a single stem. The bush produces purple berries and the berries are attached to a bright pink >> fushia vine (like when you buy grapes in a store). But, not in full clusters. It has green leaves. I should have examined it closers to see if there was woody stems. It has been producing the beeries for the last 2-3 weeks or longer. I do not know if this plant is a annual or pre-annual. My friend told me it comes back every year. But, is it from the seed droppings, birds droppings or just because it is a pre-annual. He told me it is poisoness to humans yet, blue-jays, finchs and robins eat the berries. He pronounce the plant (sir-mack). In which, I know I have the spelling wrong. Also, this bush stands approx. 4-5 feet tall. Can anyone please suggest the correct spelling or identify the plant and or bush. Thanks for any help..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help to identify bush with berries

Sounds like Pokeweed, Phytolacca americana.

o

Could possibly be one of the Sumac(Rhus) species. Often referred to as Poison Sumac.
Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Sumac - Rhus sp.

o

If we only had a picture!Doesn't really sound like sumac...maybe pokeweed, elderberry, but more like pokeweed.
deb

o

sounds like fragrant sumac or stinking sumac.try posting a pic for positive ID

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here