Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
black walnut crop

Posted by flooring_advice (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 28, 09 at 22:54

I have several black walnut trees in my yard. This year there have been thousands of nuts falling to the ground. I've been told that oak trees have produce bumper crops of acorns every other year. Does anyone know if black walnut trees have an annual cycle when they produce very large numbers of nuts? Please advise.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: black walnut crop

Yes they do. Every 2 to 3 years on average they produce a larger crop.

o

The walnut tree we have North of our house is in its small productive cycle this year. I am glad but I like to use walnut meats instead of pecans. Getting too old now to go pick,dry and shell those walnuts.

o

finchelover not quite the same texture as black walnuts but when you finally can't pick the black walnuts up a subsitute is to place english walnuts in a jar with a cotton ball or two that has had black walnut flavoring put on the balls. Cover tightly and in a couple of weeks the flavoring will be absorbed by the nuts. You may have to try several of the flavorings to find the one that tastes best to you. A friend with a broken leg shared this with me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here