Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
American Elm Variety for Swampy/Bottomland Woods

Posted by tzonehunter 4-5 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 24, 12 at 23:09

Hi everyone-
I'm looking for an American elm variety recommendation to compete with buckthorn seedlings in swampy wet woods. I would need something with ded resistance and possibly yellows resistance. I'm in SE wisconsin near the border of zones 4 & 5. I'm interested in elm because it seems to grow well until it dies from ded. I would consider recommendations for other species. See the details below.

We've been working hard to clear Buckthorn from our woods. The majority of the woods is swampy, calciferous mucky peat with a pH between 7 - 7.5. On the north side of our property the ground is just a bit higher & drier and has a nice stand of ash. The buckthorn isn't nearly as thick in that portion of our land, which I think is due to the shade & competition. However the southern side is almost completely gone to buckthorn. We do get large elms on that side of the property as well as some younger seedlings. However the larger elms usually succumb to ded or yellows once they hit 30 - 40 ft. The buckthorn is very prolific - there are very few mature trees (other than buckthorn) on the south side. Thousands of buckthorn seedlings come up in the sunny bare spots where mature buckthorn have been cleared (and stumps sprayed with 40% glyphosate).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: American Elm Variety for Swampy/Bottomland Woods

I wouldn't plant just elms. Also, you would probably have more luck with Slippery elm. It is fairly common in bottomland woods around here. Other trees would be Ohio buckeye, green ash (not the best anymore, due to emerald ash borer), black willow, cottonwood, and sycamore. That isn't all the trees to choose from for this location, but it is a start.

o
RE: American Elm Variety for Swampy/Bottomland Woods

'princeton','Valley Forge','Jefferson'. Plant a couple of cultivars so that you get genetic diversity and possibly stronger seedlings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here