Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amyjean_gw

fall color in european/eastern larches

amyjean
17 years ago

I have several larch trees on my property but they still haven't turned yellow at all. I'm not sure if they are european or eastern larches -I haven't found a good source of identification. I'm wondering if anyone knows about fall color in these -are they both supposed to turn yellow? Thank you in advance,

Amy

Comments (3)

• virginia_w
    17 years ago

We have a lot of tamarack (larch) swamps in our area. The needles do turn a beautiful golden yellow before the needles drop off. Ours here in Zone 3 are just turning,so maybe it is a little early for yours to turn color. They are beautiful. I used to have one in my yard, but we had a very bad drought one year and it died. They need lots of moisture during the summer, as they normally grow in wet, swampy areas.

• amyjean
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Virginia, Thank you for your info. They are finally turning a beautiful gold color now, and should be spectacular in a few days!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    17 years ago

Both kinds turn yellow, relatively similar colors, though the European may be a bit more gold and the eastern a bit more yellow. My impression, confirmed by Dirr, is that the needles on the European are longer than on the eastern, and the cones on the eastern are about 1/2 the size of the European.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting