Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Spruce Trees in GA?

Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 19, 08 at 10:48

I brought some seedling trees back with me from Newfoundland, Canada and am hoping that they can grow here in my climate. Of course, NFLD get's snow and has a cold winter, unlike here.

Is there any hope of them doing well? any suggestions to help them get going?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Spruce Trees in GA?

You might want to post this on the Georgia forum. I think planting them in middle Georgia would be a bit less successful than north Georgia.

Another good forum would be the Trees forum.

This article by UGA mentions that spruce are deer resistant: http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/horticulture/deer.html

Not sure if that implies that they grow well here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trees forum

o

You might get them to languish for a few years, but they will never prosper. The heat will take them out. How many spruce do you see in your location?

You do have some warm climate substitutes, however, if it's that conifer look you're craving. I suggest you look into several of the Cedrus deodara cultivars, as well as those of Cedrus atlantica. Cupressus arizonica var. glabra 'Blue Ice' is quite nice, too.

All of the above can be found growing well the steamy south.

o

This Google Street View from Plains -- 226 N Bond St., looking east -- shows what looks very much like a spruce.

-Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Street View, Plains GA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here