Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
six leafed ginseng plant

Posted by senger KY (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 24, 07 at 14:10

i was out digging ginseng this year and came across a beautiful huge three prong plant. i notioced right off this was no ordinary ginseng plant. one of the prongs had six leaves instead of 5. i was wondering if any of you guys have ever heard of this or saw it. How rare is this.
I have attached a picture of the plant. notice the bottom right prong with six leaves.
http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/jond05/?action=viewt=oddseng.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: odd seng

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: six leafed ginseng plant

Four leaf clovers happen on plants that normally have three leaves. Mutations and variations happen. Here's a link to a website on 4-leaf clovers and shamrocks. It has the "estimate" of finding a 4-leaf clover is 10,000 to 1. I don't know how likely ginseng is to have extra leaves but I'd probably liken the 6-leaf to the 4-leaf clover.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Shamrocks & 4-Leaf Clovers

o
RE: six leafed ginseng plant

yeah i feel so lucky to have found a plant like this. i mean as rare as ginseng is anyway. if the odds of this plant were about the same odds as a four leaf clover. then that would make this a really rare plant. makes me feel lucky. I carefully dug the plant up and replanted it in a place closer to my house so i could keep up with its growth from year to year. i also wanted it around for good luck lol.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here