Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
60 Ft hemlock tree

Posted by jones60 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 4, 06 at 15:44

I have a old tilting hemlock tree with about 25 ft of it is limbless, Its leaning right where the electric wire is to my house and its upper limbs are a couple feet from the house creating to much shade. I do everything for my animals but feel this one tree must come down, I have left a 50ft blue spruce up for the squirrels etc and had it cabled. Someone make me feel better about doing it?? but i do feel its time. Also will be trimming trees back but not down, Need more sun in the house. also have two cedars which i will be topping but not cuttng down again want to leave the cedars for bird protection year round.
Bethel CT

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 60 Ft hemlock tree

One of the animals you need to protect is you.
My church had a number of trees taken down that were too close to the building. I wasn't very happy about it at the time but it proved to be wise two years later when a microburst storm hit the area and dropped dozens of trees and limbs through powerlines and through the roofs of several houses in the area. You can still leave upright a portion of the tree as woodpecker habitat if it is safe to do so.

o
RE: 60 Ft hemlock tree

Thanks for that. I am planning on leaving both trunks up a bit since one already has a shelf for the squirrels from a lower growth from the main being taken off last year. Its the closeness to the electric wire that makes this seem right and its so large and tilting,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here