Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
knottyceltic

Mystery Plant - help to identify?

knottyceltic
18 years ago

{{gwi:1356098}}

I've tried to size this photo so that the dimensions of the plant are the same as real life. This plant is in my Sugar Maple hardwood forest and we are trying to restore it to all-native flora so I don't know if this little guy is to stay or not. He's cute and I like him so it would be my luck that he's some alien plant that my hubby will want taken out. I've watched it all spring and summer and it's not invasive (at least yet) and I never saw a flower on it. I've searched the internet and my books all summer and just can't find what it is. Any ideas?

Barb

southern Ontario, CANADA zone 6a

Comments (10)

• razorback33
    18 years ago

Could be Geranium robertiana (Herb-robert). An annual/biennial. Native from Manitoba to Newfoundland. Has small pink flowers in Spring.
    Rb

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    18 years ago

The photo won't load for me but if it is Herb Robert as Razorback suggests, be aware that this is considered a noxious weed in some areas. It will produce small, hot pink flowers that seed very freely similar to many other forms of more desirable hardy geraniums, so invasiveness can be a problem. Foliage has a distinct aroma and will turn reddish in late season. The good news is that it is pretty easy to weed out - I pull them constantly from my nursery area.

• karinl
    18 years ago

Photo won't load for me either. On that plant though, I second Gardengal's assessment.

• knottyceltic
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorry about the photo not showing, I don't know what's wrong with it.

Thanks for your ID Razorback. I think you are correct but the odd thing is that this particular plant appears more like the British versions I see online than the North American versions. The British version seems to have more semetrical leaflets which form the shape of a 5 pointed star, but in all the North American versions, the leaflets closest to the stem seem to be much smaller than the other 3 leaflets. I've opened a photobucket account to post the picture again:

Let's see if that works for us...

Barb
    Southern Ontario, CANADA zone 6a

• karinl
    18 years ago

Yes that works better, and it does look like Herb Robert, at least superficially, though I think my leaves are much more finely cut and pointy. I'll look for one to photograph. Are the stems of yours reddish and hairy? (Gee that sounds alluring, doesn't it?)

• karinl
    18 years ago

I can't seem to find any more Herb Robert growing here, but the more I think about it the more I think it looks different from this. Is the underside of your plant's leaves by any chance silver or otherwise remarkable? For a moment there it looked like it might be a little fern, Chielanthus or something.

• paalexan
    18 years ago

Just looks like Geranium robertianum from here.

FWIW, among ferns the most similar to this would be Gymnocarpium. Cheilanthes are quite different...

Patrick Alexander

• vbain
    18 years ago

Me too. It should spread rapidly, if so.

• knottyceltic
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh Vi, I hope not. I would like to keep it as a specimen plant but just try to control it by plucking out unwanted plants if they appear to be getting out of control.

Barb
    southern Ontario, CANADA zone 6a

• bigred
    18 years ago

So that's what it is!It came up in my yard 5 or 6 years ago,seeding it's self around. Didn't mind since I don't keep a perfectly manacured yard.

gardengal,
    Distinct aroma? That's a polite way to put it...LOL! I'd never bothered to crush the leaves before I read this. PeeeeUU!

PP

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County