Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just discovered this new woodland beauty....

Posted by jocpinct z6 CT (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 29, 05 at 17:52

But I don't know what it is! I've taken to looking for ripe spotted wintergreen fruit in the woods near our house, but saw this today and the foliage is amazing. I have to admit I collected a few of the seed pods in hopes that I could get it to grow in my garden...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Thanks for your help in advance.

Jenny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just discovered this new woodland beauty....

It's Rattlesnake Plantain, Goodyera ???. It blooms late in dummer or fall. There are several varieties of this orchid, mostly differentiated by their leaves.
This site should help you find out which one, or use googes pics, or search by name. Nice litle guys. They should come up again next year.
http://hortiplex.gardenweb.com/plants/nph-ind.cgi

o

VBain,

Thanks for the ID, you're exactly right. It's Downy Rattlesnake Plantain.

I didn't actually pull up the plants, but did get some seed. I'm off to research how difficult it is to grow from seed.

Thanks again.

Jenny

o

I believe they propagate through root runners.
You may want to read some od the threads at this site
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NativeOrchidConference/

o

very cool picture

thanks for sharing

o

• Posted by nankeen z8b Portland OR (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 4, 05 at 12:29

Hi Jenny,
Goodyera seed is very easy to germinate in vitro. I've had success with Goodyera oblongifolia on Malmgrens medium with some potato added, bleaching the seed for about 30-40 minutes, I think. ~90% germination over a few months.

In situ, it would be very difficult. Your best bet is to mix the seed with a quarter cup of sugar and spread that around the plants that already exist in a 10 ft radius or so. In 2 years, you may see some tiny leaves popping up. (Never done this myself, but I am relying on info from Andy Huber at GROWISER in La Grande Oregon who grows Cypripedium montanum in this way)

Best,
Ross

Here is a link that might be useful: GROWISER

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here