Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this ginseng? (photo)

Posted by Ratterrierfun z5 OH (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 23, 05 at 19:41

Walking in the woods with my family today, we saw several of this plant on a north slope. It grows 6-12 inches or taller. No berries that we could see, but there's plenty of wild turkeys around to eat them. It looks similar to photos I've seen of ginseng except for the lobes on the leaves. Can anyone help me identify this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this ginseng? (photo)

• Posted by nankeen z8b Portland OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 23, 05 at 20:03

I recognize it, but don't know it's name. It's not ginseng, though.

o

Black Cohosh? We don't have it here this far north but someone showed it to me once because we have "Blue" Cohosh here. The leaves are totally different though. Here...look at Black Cohosh and tell me if it's the same to you:

Black Cohosh

Black Cohosh

Barb
southern Ontario, CANADA zone 6a

o

I don't think it is black cohosh (we have that a lot here), but I don't know what it is.

o

Thank you for the replies. I have been looking and looking all over the web to find out what this plant is but nothing fits it! I don't believe it's black cohosh. It is not a bush or even close. Its growth habit is much like ginseng; they are indiviual plants with longish stems and the leaves grow palmate in groups of 5. But I don't think it's ginseng. Would it be in the ginseng family? I have searched for that too. It's really starting to drive me a little crazy! I did email the photo to someone at Ohio State U to see if they could tell me what it is, but no response yet.
ANyone else have any suggestions where I could search? Are there any dicot keys online?

Thanks again,
Rebecca

o

the leaf depicted looks like a member of the cafrrot family; namely a species of Sanicula

Michel Andr

o

Michel, thank you! I think I have finally identified this as sanicula gregaria.
Thank you very much!

Rebecca

o

halo, yesterday i went to a friend's house and i saw a plant which my friend told me that is black ginseng. i live in malaysia and i dont think that malaysia can plant a ginseng. the weather here is very hot. so any one of you can give me the answer "is there have a ginseng called black ginseng? please email to me in voonfen@hotmail.com thank you

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here