Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
millefiori_gw

Tricky Area for Planting

millefiori
17 years ago

Hello! Can't believe it took so long to find gardenweb, but now that I have, I have a question about planting a tricky location in our yard.

It is a west facing location, right near the house foundation. Being located in Central VA, we have that horrible red clay, and since this is near the foundation, of course it is the worst possible soil. I will amend with organics and raise/slope away from the house slightly.

The location microclimate is slightly cool for a western location and a little bit wet in the winter. It gets full morning shade, however, from midday to late afternoon it gets full sun, with light/heat reflecting back from the brick, particularly baking in the summer.

Hostas don't work, daylilies do okay but I would really like to add some things with height like 4' grasses or taller plants for view from the window interest that will tie in with the woodland view beyond. I don't want the typical foundation type evergreens in this location. Thought about a rock garden with sedums and grasses, but think it might be too wet in winter. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

~ Tru

Comments (2)