Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seed source and recommendations?

Posted by millefiori 7 VA (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 9, 06 at 10:59

We have a few acres of thinned woodland that I would like to plant with native wildflowers and sedges. Plugging and purchasing individual ornamental grasses from garden centers on such a scale would be cost prohibitive so I need to find a source for bulk seeds. Did locate a German source if necessary but prefer U.S. seed source.

Also, any recommendations as to types woodland sedges and grasses from seed for cold zone 7 and heat zone 7 would also be appreciated.

Thank you.

~ Tru

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seed source and recommendations?

Your best bet is to stay clear of garden centers,as they can be best described as the busness of selling weeds to the gullable for profit.Collecting your own seeds locally,when ever possible,is the way to go,especially if you're looking for woodland sedges indigenous to your area.A paper bag and a pair of scissors taken along during a summer nature walk when the desired seeds are ripe, is the way to do it.

o

I have used Ernst Conservation Seeds and Wildlife Nurseries Inc. Many of the entries in the Ernst catalog say what "ecotype" the seed is which would help you pick seeds whose DNA comes from places closer to the plants in your area. Check for native plant societies for your state also.

o

Thank you for the recommendations. Ernst might work, but I need seeds in the hundreds of pounds :)

We also need plants/grasses that can sustain some browsing and grazing without die off.

I am somewhat ambivalent about wild collecting of seeds. I guess it would depend on the species and the location. Almost all of the woodland around here is either state/federal parkland or private property. I know I would be rather annoyed if someone decided to go seed gathering in our woods (over 10 acres).

o

www.prairiemoonnursery.com

www.prairienursery.com

www.ionexchange.com

o

Finding local natural sources is better than importing seeds from distant growers.That way,you will be more assured of getting seeds of species native to your area with local phenotypes and less likely to import plants that may become troublesome weeds.Its essential to do your own field work to quantify the historic species makeup of the woodland areas you are trying to restore.Information particular to your area will not be available from midwestern seed growers and finding the appropriate plant materials from them will be unlikely. Take a walk in nature with your eyes open.Even in the most surburban areas remanants of natural habitats remain nearby for inspiration.

o

If I discovered someone seeking seeds in "my" woods,I would be delighted to assist them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here