Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaf removal?

Posted by ikea_gw 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 11, 08 at 16:48

The back half of my yard is a wooded area with tall oak trees and tulip trees. This is my first year here and I wonder if I should bother with removing leaves from the area. I have a lot of woodland poppies and various shade or woodland plants under the trees. Would leaving leaves on them lead to disease? Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaf removal?

Leave the leaves. Think of it this way. Did anyone remove the leaves last year? Were the plants healthy. Leaves contain minerals that are used to build the soil as they decompose.

o
RE: Leaf removal?

The leaves are generally good for woodland plants - woodland plants have grown for eons being covered with leaves. The only exception is that there may be a few spots in the yard where leaves build up much deeper than average - a low spot in the woods, up against a log where the wind pushes leaves, etc. These areas may accumulate too many leaves for most woodland plants to grow, and you'll find similar places in any natural woodland. It is unlikely plants are growing in such spots, but if you want to encourage new plants, spread the leaves out of the low spot when spring approaches. Generally though, the leaves should stay, and you might even add more in some places.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here