Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hemnancy

Planning a new woodland garden

hemnancy
14 years ago

Here are some plants I'm considering for a woodland garden- any comments? It is dry here all summer so I would have to water.

Amorpha canescens

Aralia nudicalis

Aralia racemosa

Impatiens capensis

Polygonum orientale- Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate

Psoralea onobrychis

Psoralea physodes

Sidalcea candida

I have areas with native plants like Trilliums, Salal, Oregon Holly Grape, etc. but also areas where the ground was stripped and grass planted, that I would like to make woodland but would like to try some of these other plants. Maybe they need more water than the original plants and would be harder to keep alive...

Comments (10)

• ctnchpr
    14 years ago

Impatiens capensis likes it wet - even soggy. You could make a small wetland area: Dig a shallow hole, line it with a piece of plastic, backfill to within 1" of grade. You can cover the edge of the plastic with stones or mulch. Lobelia cardinalis is another native that would love the wetland. Both are great Hummer plants.

• gamountains
    14 years ago

"Impatiens capensis"

I did not know what they were until doing a Google image search. Thanks! Those things grow like crazy near my creek..very close. They'll also continue to grow when I throw 'em in the creek until a gully washer takes them away.

I usually weed whack them as they always block the creek view. Yes, they like very wet areas.

• ctnchpr
    14 years ago

I. capensis is a very important nectar source for migrating Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, so please don't whack all of 'em.

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

Very good if you get poison ivy rash. Hubby gets poison ivy really bad and the sap of this impatiens helps cut the healing time down. If you want to try do a test spot on your skin because like all things you could have a adverse reaction.

Mine grow on the top of a roadside bank rather than in wet conditions.

• hemnancy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am excited to see if I can get any of these to grow. I am ordering some seeds and will have to start prechilling or wintersowing some of them. Do the Jewelweeds reseed easily?

• ctnchpr
    14 years ago

They reseed like weeds.

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

Next spring watch for seedlings that have very big leaves for their size and a stem that when you break it the juice is like a soft jelly. I was chopping the seedlings up to make way for what I thought were the correct plant.

Some of the leaves in a good year will be over 2inches wide and almost that deep with an indentation on both sides.

• linda_schreiber
    14 years ago

Jewelweed does like wet, but it also will withstand dryer conditions well as long as it is in shade or at least good afternoon shade. We have patches of them that have withstood drought years without any watering. They just aren't quite as lush. But they flower well and set seed, and come back.

One of my favorite weeds.... Even the huge ones pull out with a mild tug if they're in the wrong place. No runners. No roots to China.

• fatamorgana2121
    14 years ago

Besides the beautiful flowers, these are a fun one to show to the young people in your life. This plant's other common name is "touch-me-not" and the ripe seed pods "explode" with a touch.

The Pale Touch-Me-Not Impatiens pallida is more uncommon where I live but is pretty too with a yellow rather than orange flower.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Jewelweed

• hemnancy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I started some in the house under lights, nothing has come up yet. I guess I should try a few winter-sown and or direct seeded as well.

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets