Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Toad Lily Empress

Posted by airren AL-7b (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 8, 06 at 18:53

Hi, I might be posting in the wrong place, so please have mercy on me ;)

I just bought a toad lily that is blooming quite nicely and looks to be very healthy. I am not sure where to plant it in the yard, and since it's almost mid November I thought I'd overwinter it in the greenhouse (cold greenhouse - low night temp 45degrees - day heat by the sun).

Does anyone have any comments to whether this is a good or bad idea? The alternative is to leave it in a pot outside.

Thanks!

Airren

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Toad Lily Empress

Tricyrtis 'Empress' is a T. formosana selection that has somewhat larger flowers than the species and is cold hardy to Zone 6(at least). It will do fine in a pot, overwintered outdoors in Zone 7. As is is an early blooming variety(July-Aug).the foliage emerges very early in the spring and it will need protection from a late freeze or frost. Be aware that Slugs also love the tender new foliage. It doesn't tolerate long periods without moisture, but can be allowed to dry out between watering.
They increase rapidly by short stolons and can usually be divided into multiple plants each year.
Enjoy your wise purchase, plant in a shady location(or grow them in pots) and be forewarned that Toad lilies are addictive! (I started with one and now grow many species and varieties that have multiplied into the hundreds)
Rb

o

Thanks a lot RB. This particular one that I have purchased is still blooming and has more buds. I repotted it this morning into a little bigger pot and have place it in a mostly shady spot. Will this die back during our zone 7b winters? From your post it sounds like it will.

o

Yes, all of the the Tricyrtis go dormant after the first heavy frost or freeze. Since you mentioned yours are still in bloom, I checked mine and some of them still have a few blooms. Those are mostly hidden, in a somewhat dry area, under a Beautyberry and Weeping Buddleja, which are under deciduous Magnolia amd Sourwood trees. Frankly, I was surprised to find any blooms left!
Rb

o

What do you think would happen if I put it in the greenhouse until spring and it didn't go dormant? Bad? Good?

o

Probably not a good idea. All herbaceous perennials need a period of R & R to remain healthy.
Rb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here