Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltd123_gw

What caused these swirls in fallen pine needles?

ltd123
17 years ago

I live in southern Indiana. The pictured part of my yard typically has a beautiful bed of pine needles by this time each year. Today I was amazed to see that the area looked like someone had methodically stuck an egg beater in the needles and "stirred" them every few inches for about a 100 ft by 60 ft rectangle. I have lived here 20 years and never noticed this before. Likely culprits are red squirrels, raccoons, or ????????? I would love to hear an explanation for this. Any ideas?

Laura

Please click on photos to enlarge.

Comments (16)

• catherinet
    17 years ago

Could it be deer walking around in it?
    Just the wind?

• flgargoyle
    17 years ago

Probably extraterrestrial in origin. Excuse me while I put another layer of foil on my head...
    Actually, I have no idea- someone's idea of a prank?

• rootwad
    17 years ago

Looks like armadillo to me. They can cover a pretty large area and they're nocturnal, so you're not likely to see them.

RW

• christie_sw_mo
    17 years ago

Another layer? Does that mean you already have one layer of foil on your head? lol

Skunks will dig too.
    It's close to Christmas. If you don't have anything on your list yet, you could ask for a motion activated camera like they sell in the sporting goods section. They're less than $100 at Wal-Mart or try Bass Pro's website.

Rootwad - Have you checked out the Ozarks forum yet?

Here is a link that might be useful: Ozarks Region Gardening Forum

• ltd123
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow - what a lot of resourceful ideas..... deer, skunks, extraterrestrials, armadillo, pranksters....
    I have never seen an armadillo except on TV. I don't think they like Indiana but a far-roaming armadillo would explain a lot.
    Alien life from another planet would be fun but wouldn't there be a scorched circle in the pine needles where their spacecraft landed?
    Reading these replies, I was planning to install a camera as suggested and spend a few mights sitting nearby with my head wrapped in foil to see what I could discover. However, I just received a reply from my local county agent who said he is 85 % sure it is squirrels looking through the pine needles for seeds and/or burying acorns in their fall frenzy.
    Thanks for the input,
    Laura

• catherinet
    17 years ago

Squirrels are a good probability. They are busy in my yard burying black walnuts.

• brenda_near_eno
    17 years ago

I know there are no armadillos there, but that is exactly what they do. Do you have opossums?

• bob64
    17 years ago

ET's disguised as squirrels.

• plantsnobin
    17 years ago

I am in southern Indiana too, in Orange county. We have a couple of pines, and free range chickens that just love to dig around in the pine needles, leaving areas just like in your picture.

• jimnoak
    17 years ago

Those are fine pictures Laura, and I live in Southern Illinois. The bumper crop of squirrles here, though cute, have dug up my bulbs, the expensive tuberous begonias and even chewed up my lawn furniture cushions at my lake house. They used to stymie me from feeding the woodland birds before I discovered the solution: "Squirrel Season". I invited all my hunting friends to show up and fill their freezers, and so they did. Problem gone.

As a boy I used to love squirrel hunting with my Dad, but now I seem to have no stomach for the hunting sport. I'm sort of liking that foil on my head idea, but since I tried it, the aluminum reacted to the steal plate in my head and the people who take care of me had to take my foil and my crayons away.

At least the birds like me and my bulbs are safe.

'Tis a mystery, but I agree with others that you have a squirrelly problem.

jim

• PRO
    Catrina's Garden
    17 years ago

Maybe turkies do you have any? The tend to be in large flocks so that would explain the large area. Here they tend to roost in the pines and in areas where they roost the needles are all messed up below, can't say I have noticed the circles though more like they are just messed up.
    I'll add some foil though while I'm out getting mulch for the blueberries.
    Catrina

• knottyceltic
    17 years ago

Extraterrestrials disguised as SQUIRRELS! GOOD HEAVENS!

Never mind putting the foil on your head...
    cover your *nuts* with the foil instead!!!!

(hope nobody's offended, it's just a joke)

Barb in southern Ontario where daughter Hailey names ALL the squirrels in our yard including a new one called "Fudge" who's a lovely chocolate brown.

• HU-854205662
    4 years ago

I have them also in my yard....12" perfectly spun circles on top of grass....from what I experienced and know I put my money that it is extraterrestrials tMakingtMaking

• HU-854205662
    4 years ago

EtsET'sEtsET'sEtsEt'sEtsmakingET's

• HU-854205662
    4 years ago

Making

Sponsored