Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tree trunk stepping stones

Posted by germodder 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 13, 06 at 22:48

WE have cut a pine tree and I have had the trunk sliced into circles about 2-3 inches thick. I am going to put these down as a path in my woodland garden. Do you have any ideas for treating the slices to help protect them from the weather

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tree trunk stepping stones

Polyurethane comes to mind. There are also products that are used to restore rotted wood like Keypoxy Wood Restorer but I've never tried them. Linseed oil also comes to mind.

o

In the 70's I had a path of wood (pine)stepping stones, they were very slippery, just from the dew, or wicking up moisture from the soil, so be careful.. They all rotten within about 4 years. Even pressure treated decks/stairs are slippery when wet. I now have alot of granite sink cut-outs (free from granite countertop suppliers) that I flip over to use the non-polished side (the polished side is very slippery-don't ask me how I know-ouch, ouch).

o

I use wood chips or crushed stone a/k/a gravel (the more irregular in shape the stone pieces are, the better) for paths.

o

I did the same thing with oak except mine were about six inches thick. They lasted quite a number of years and when they did rot they were removed and concrete poured in the holes that remained. pine would not last as long.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here