Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas for underplanting hedge

Posted by jayhawkfan56 6 KS (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 10:19

Hey all,
I have a hedge planted at the back of my propery that contains hackberry, black walnut, and slippery elm growth. These are large trees that have been here for what looks like over 30-40 years. Was wondering if anybody has any ideas for vines, flowering shrubs, ferns, etc that will grow near these trees. Live in kansas, so get the worst temperature extremes. Also have very heavy red clay soil (although most likely in hedge much lighter). Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas for underplanting hedge

Hey Jayhawkfan56 -

Try to keep whatever you do simple, something you can plant, it will thrive and is easy to maintain. Depending on the amount of sunlight it gets a dense groundcover that is strong enough to choke out weeds and will tolerate walnut would be good. Take a look around and see what desirable natives are already growing and encourage them. If it is sunny enough you can spread seeds of native grasses around along with other prairie plants. If you are more formal, put in a privet hedge and a lawn with a bench. A few big pots full of annual flowers for color and you're done. Everyone's tastes and ideas are different. Again go as simple as possible, using a few plant varieties in larger numbers together (such as lawn grass) wnen taking on larger areas to plant.

o
RE: Ideas for underplanting hedge

• Posted by jcalhoun 8b Mobile County AL (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 30, 14 at 22:09

Hollies such as yaupons and dahoon would work there. Dogwood and redbud trees would look good too.

If the ground is acidic blueberries could be an option.

For vines, coral honeysuckle (not Japanese!), Carolina jessamine, and muscadine (wild grape) should be doable. Maybe some roses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here