Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I build steps into woodland

Posted by lvannote z5IN (planthog@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Dec 13, 06 at 12:36

Does anybody have any ideas about making paths accesseble on steep grades through woods. I cannot afford to use stone . I might be able to cut some fallen trees up to make steps , but I am not sure that will work. My woods is all hills and I am getting old. Please help.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I build steps into woodland

Here is a web address for some instructions I found:

http://homegarden.realtor.com/HomeGarden/HomeImprovement/HowTos/HowTos/CRHO_InstallingGroundSteps.asp?poe=homestore

Winding switchback trails would be less steep than a straight climb, would require less actual steps. You can anchor the occasional steps in a switchback trail by digging them in a bit and staking with re-bar or with "deadmen" if you are really ambitious. Try the hillside forum also.

o

Most of my friends dig steps.
You might place a board on the lip of the step, but mostly they just have dirt steps through the woods. It's a bit labor intensive in the beginning but seems to hold up. I was just talking to a friend who did them originally 10 years ago and they still look great.

o

yes, as drummergirl says, you place a barrier in front of each terrace you wish to make and then backfill to create the level terrace or step. Very simple but lots of back breaking shovelling to backfill if you don't have a mechanical means such as a mini-backhoe or something.

Barb

o

We have the same problem with a steep slope to the wonderful lower garden. We dig steps every spring and the rains wash them to gullies. I hesitate to put down old railroad ties or split logs because these can become very slippery during rains. I guess eventually we'll end up laying down some flat stone like limestone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here