Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tx2tn

Developing a Woodland Garden

tx2tn
16 years ago

I'm looking for some book sources on the best way to develop a woodland garden, when you're starting with raw forest. I'm looking for a book or articles that focus on the southern/central decidious forests (e.g., Tennessee/Carolina/Virginia/Kentucky/etc.).

I'm going to be starting from scratch, so I want to protect and expand the existing native species while adding native species to enhance the experience when walking along the paths.

I've collected a number of woodland gardening books, but what seems to be missing (or at least not showing up on my Google searches) is a "how to" approach. What are some of the tricks to selectively clearing the forest of "trash". Getting the vines out without killing the trees, etc.

I'm looking for some guidance.

Thanks!

TX2TN

Comments (10)

• bob64
    16 years ago

For vines in trees you cut the vine as low as you can and as high as you can and remove the cut out section. The portions that remain in the canopy should be left there to wither and dry out and they will eventually crumble and fall out. Do not pull the vines out of the canopy or you can break tree limbs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vine Cutter website

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

My how to is to identify the most invasive plants first and get rid of them, especially the ones with fruit/berries visible. Bob gave you good advice on vines. For woody plants you need to get rid of, cut at almost ground level and apply a woody brush killer to the stump immediately. You don't have to get rid of the debris, you can pile it up in out of the way places. Birds and small mammals love brush piles. They make good homes and good place to dash back to when predators show up.

Of course the whole while you are doing this, you should be identifying things so that you truly are getting rid of the trash and taking inventory of what you have already. There is a Name that Plant forum on Garden Web if you need help.

Of course you can lay out your paths immediately - I find that is helpful is getting around the area anyway.

• bob64
    16 years ago

"Planting Noah's Garden" by the late Sara Stein has a lot of practical advice. Esh is right to point out that you should know what it is that needs removing before you start removing. Attacking invasive vines is usually first priority in my opinion since it helps you to save the mature tree canopy from premature destruction. I would leave any tree removal for later since you can use the shade of the trees to help suppress your other invasives. The Nature Conservancy has useful management profiles available on their web site for many invasive plants. Also look at the "Wild Ones" web site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild Ones

• ladyslppr
    16 years ago

Before you decide to remove all of the vines, first determine which vines you have. Do you have native vines? Vines are an important component of deciduous forests, especially in the south. I am not sure why so many people react so strongly to the presence of vines, but I am sure that vine removal is not in the best interest of wildlife, birds or general biodiversity. Most people seem biased towards large, straight trees as the epitome of a healthy forest, but the vines are a natural an important part of the forest, too. Vines fruit heavily, some have interesting flowers, and they create a habitat that is absent in vine-cleared forests. Many bird species forage heavily in the vine layer when it is present. Ask any hunter where to find grouse or squirrels, and you'll be told that vine tangles are full of game.

The danger of vines destorying trees is way overblown. In some cases, vines can damage trees, but in most instances mature trees can support lots of vines without any damage. If you have a nice tree being damaged by vines, then I'd consider removing the vines. On the other hand, if you have vines that aren't doing damage, or vine tangles that don't include any special trees, then I would leave the vines. A vine tangle or two add a lot to a woodland that is not easily or quickly replaced once removed.

One other point in favor of native vines is that early explorers often reported forests festooned with vines. Vines have always been a part of our native flora and should be valued, in my opinion. On the other hand, I would pull no punches in removing non-native vines.

• terrene
    16 years ago

When you identify what the "trash" is growing in your woodland then you can determine which of the non-native invasives are the worst offenders and remove those in an orderly fashion. In my case, I studied websites that listed prohibited plants in New England states, the New England Wildflower Society's "dirty dozen" list, the USDA plant database, and sites like that. Chances are the most aggressive exotic invasives are the ones that you have the most of and have caused the most damage!

I have been battling Norway maple (Acer platanoides), Oriental bittersweet (Celastrus orbiculatus), and numerous invasive shrub species the worst being Glossy Buckthorn (Frangula alnus). As they are cleared out, I am laying down paths and building lasagne gardens beds in which I am planting many native perennials, grasses and shrubs.

Also I agree with ladyslipr that native vines are an integral part of a woodland. Unfortunately I have some native trees that have been badly smothered and even killed from the rampant growth of the invasives. Below is a picture of a Red Pine (Pinus resinosa) that died long ago from the strangling Bittersweet and oppressive weight of the vine that pulled down it's crown. (The bittersweet vines were cut several years back).

I going to use these snags as natural trellises, and plant native vines like Virginia Creeper, wild grapes, Trumpet creeper, Passiflora, etc. up them. I don't know how it will work, but I envision the snags covered with lovely native vines that provide berries and cover for the birds, and will hopefully encourage them to use the snags for nesting as well.

{{gwi:1356581}}

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    16 years ago

That's a great use of those snags, terrene!

Virginia creeper is a wonderful vine, which we don't get to see as often as I'd like out here (in northern California).

Interestingly enough, we're using a wisteria vine to help bring down a dying oak - should take ten or fifteen years, during which we'll enjoy some varied canopy.

I envy you folks with real patches of forest/woods to work!

Josh

• fatamorgana2121
    16 years ago

I found the page below and it lists quite a number of invasive "weeds," trees and shrubs included. It may be of use.

If clearing an area of invasive, alien plants you might want to contact a local herbalist. Many non-native plants have herbal uses. You may be able to get some help clearing an area of "weeds" in exchange for the plant material collected. A quick browse through something like A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants and Herbs: Of Eastern and Central North America by James A. Duke, Steven Foster, and Roger Tory Peterson would help you identify stuff that an herbalist may want.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Invasive weeds

• bob64
    16 years ago

I just did some searching and found this web site for the Tennessee Exotic Pest Plant Council: http://www.tneppc.org/
    Also try this site from University of TN: http://www.utextension.utk.edu/publications/spfiles/SP627.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: TN Invasive Pest Plant Council

• tx2tn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well that wasn't fun!

I guess I misfired before i was done.

Anyway, the following books have been helpful, but not focused enough on the southern/central eastern forest.

-The Beckoning Path, by Ted Niernberg (highly recommend this)
    -The Woodland Garden, by Roy Forster & Alex Downie
    -Naturalistic Gardening, by Ann Lovejoy
    -Natural Planting, by Penelope Hobshouse

I also have the Dirr books and the Rick Darke's The American Woodland Garden. However, there something missing (short of real experience) in many of these books. Also, they tend to focus on other portions of the U.S. I've tried to avoid the British woodland garden books, because they really don't apply to the conditions we get here in the southeast.

If you've got any other recommendations for the books, please share them. Again, thanks for the input about the early clearing of the land the prevention of allowing the invasives to get started.

Thanks,
    Chuck
    TX2TN

• tx2tn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

All,

I thought I'd sent an earlier attempt to answer, with my thanks to everyone who responded. Bob64, thanks very much for the TN Invasive web site. It's very helpful in identifying the plants I want to avoid.

Thanks also for the information on removing the vines from the trees.

Chuck,
    TX2TN

Sponsored