Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beth11_gw

Newbie here- Magnolia bog question

beth11
19 years ago

Hi All,

I usually hang out on the veggie/tomatoes forum, but I'm glad I found you all. I have a couple of wooded acres on my property next to the house. When I first moved in, I had plans on paths and planting, but got sidetracked. What got me interested again was an article in the local paper about "magnolia bogs". An acidic boggy area caused by seeping groundwater. Features sweet bay magnolia trees. Apparently it is a local feature in this area. I have a stream that runs thru the woods. When I first moved in, I tried to track the source but was dissapointed to find it started in a big old muddy area. I now believe that it is a seep. We have gravel/clay soil and the ideal conditions for a magnolia bog (and wild magnolia trees!). What intrigued me is the potential wildflowers that may be growing in my woods. I can't wait til spring. Long story short, has anyone heard or have experience with this type of bog and what I should look for?

Thanks,

Beth

Comments (9)

• lycopus
    19 years ago

Have you tested the pH of your seepage? Since you describe your soil type as gravel/clay, I would expect the groundwater might be somewhat alkaline. It might very well be acidic though.

• beth11
    Original Author
    19 years ago

If it ever stops raining, I will. I suspect it is acidic, but I'll check. I did find striped wintergreen plants in the woods- didn't know what those little cool plants were until I came here!

Beth

• beth11
    Original Author
    19 years ago

OK, I took a water sample and tested it- yes, acidic. PH either 5.5 or 6.2 (two different types of test strips) and very soft. Surprisingly clear, too.

Beth

• lycopus
    19 years ago

Sounds like you have the potential for a unique natural area there. I'd keep an eye on it for a year and take note of what is there. One thing worth noting is that the pH isn't very low but it might be sufficient. Here is a list of plants characteristic of a magnolia bog I found at www.mdflora.org

Alnus serrulata
    Amelanchier canadensis
    Aronia arbutifolia
    Carex albolutescens crinita
    Carex debilis
    Carex folliculata
    Carex intumescens
    Carex leptalea (S3; may be downlisted)
    Carex lurida
    Carex seorsa (S3; may be downlisted)
    Carex stricta
    Carex styloflexa (S3)
    Chelone glabra
    Chionanthus virginicus
    Cypripedium acaule (colony occurring in wet, sphagnous seep)
    Dioscorea villosa
    Eleocharis tortilis (S2)
    Guylussacia frondosa
    Glyceria striata
    Gratiola virginiana
    Ilex laevigata
    Ilex verticillata
    Isotria verticillata (characteristic of seep edges)
    Jim- acuminatus
    Juncus canadensis
    Juncus coriaceus (S3)
    Juncus subcaudatus
    Leersia virginica
    Leucothoe racemosa
    Lilium superbum
    Lycopodium obscurum (characteristic of seep edges)
    Lyonia ligustrina
    Magnolia virginiana
    Maianthemum canadense
    Medeola virginiana (characteristic of seep edges)
    Nyssa sylvatica
    Orontium aquaticum
    Osmunda cinnamomea
    Osmunda regalis
    Oxypolis rigidior
    Platanthera clavellata
    Polygonum sagittatum
    Rhododendron viscosum
    Rhus vernix
    Rhynchospora capitellata
    Rhynchospora gracilenta (S3)
    Rosa palustris
    Scirpus polyphyllus
    Smilax glauca
    Smilax psuedochina (currently S1 E, new proposed status to be S2)
    Smilax rotundifolia
    Smilax walteri (S3)
    Shagnum sp.
    Symplocarpus foetidus
    Thelypteris noveboracensis (characteristic of seep edges)
    Uvularia sessilifolia (characteristic of seep edges)
    Vaccinium atrococcum
    Vaccinium corymbosum
    Viburnum nudum
    Viola primulifolia
    Wisteria frutescens
    Woodwardia areolata
    Woodwardia virginica

• sam_md
    19 years ago

Beth,
    I guess that you are not too far from the development which recently had arson problems. Some members of MD Native Plant Society have been surveying magnolia bogs for years mostly near the Mattawoman. Definitely cinnamon fern (some ancient), pink lady's slipper, and swamp pink can be found there. MNPS will probably lead field trips to Araby Bog in the Spring.
    Sam

Here is a link that might be useful: Araby Bog Link

• beth11
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks all. Boy, that is quite a list of plants! Sam, yes I'm in Charles County, but not real close to Araby (closer to Zekiah swamp). I had never heard about it before the fires (they did arrest a group of guys for that stupidness). I didn't realize magnolias were not common in this area- I've got lots! I can't wait til spring. I hope to get a good pair of rubber boots for xmas so I can go explore.

Beth

• lycopus
    19 years ago

It is worth mentioning that the arrest was of an individual who was a security gaurd at the development. The magnolia bog made the news because some environmental groups had opposed the development. The Sierra Club had written a memo saying "The project will destroy a forest adjacent to state-preserved wildlands and severely degrade one of Maryland's largest magnolia bogs." The story made national news when the fires were initially blamed on "ecoterrorists", something that turned out to be completely unfounded.

• Elaine_NJ6
    19 years ago

An excellent resource for the kind of info you need is the Peterson's field guide to eastern forests. It pictures and describes numerous types of native forests, listing the plant and animal communities that make up each type.

• beth11
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi All,

I've been poking around the woodland and have identified at least a dozen of the plants/trees listed by lycopus (above) including Lycopodium (see separate thread on the club moss). I need to decipher the rest of the latin names to see what else I have! It is really a cool little area. Common names only- I can say that I have fringe trees, serviceberry, persimmon, a grove of Paw Paw's with a good crop of fruit, mockernut hickory, native dogwoods, beech (and beech nuts!), sweet bay magnolia, sumac, black locust, pin oak, white oak, sweet gum, tulip poplar, red maple (some big enough to tap for syrup one day), pin cherry, sycamore, sweet gum, striped wintergreen, sourbush (?), holly, and hemlock. And that is just what I have identified. I hope to see some cool plants this spring. I've see skunk cabbage in the past. I got myself a pair of muck boots to slosh around in, I'll let you know what I found.

Thanks,
    Beth

Sponsored
Columbus Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions