Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spanaval

Will these work?

spanaval
18 years ago

I'm making some progress on cleaning up the woods of itchies and pokies. Not fast enough for my liking, but one person battling 4 acres of trees, shrubs and vines run amuck can only expect so much. I have cleared a small area, which I would like to plant. It is pretty visible, since it lines the area near the driveway, and will be starting point for a winding path that would run through the rest of the woods, once I manage to clean it all up (20 year project, more than likely).

The area is in full shade, under trees, large and small. Most of the ones in this area are Tulip poplars. The soil is pretty much tree roots, and whatever amendments it gets because of the leaves. Most definitely very dry in summer, and because of where it is, unlikely to receive any TLC beyond the short term. Oh yeah, this being the woods, critters abound - groundhog, rabbits and deer. Here is my short list of plants. I would welcome comments on how they would do, any possible additions to the list, and some suggestions for shrubs that would do well under these conditions.

Arisaema triphyllum

Arum

Anemone nemerosa 'Alba'

Asarum canadense

Chrysogonum virginiana

Caulophyllum thalictroides

Erythronium

Ferns (variety undecided

Galium Odoratum

Iris cristata

Mertensia virginica

Trillium erectum and luteum

Tiarella wherryi

I think that this would look bland, and am considering adding the following as well, to provide a longer period of interest.

Aquilegia canadensis and some yellow volunteers I have

Ajuga Burgundy Glow

Lamium maculatum Chequers

Lamium maculatum Golden Anniversary

Pulmonaria Roy Davidson

Thalictrum (found a whole bunch growing at Shenandoah)

Suja

Comments (2)

Sponsored