Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john_d31

The inadequate language of flower[ing]s

John_D
20 years ago

Several trees, shrubs, and perennials are blooming in my winter garden right now, but once again, I seem to be facing some difficulty in describing the florescent scene, mostly because English lacks a sufficient (and comfortable) number of words to properly describe flowers. After consulting several dictionaries and thesauruses, I am back to square one, i.e., I know that flower = bloom = blossom = flower (and never mind the alternate meanings carried by these words).

While the garden is not in full blow right now, it is moderately spectacular and thus quite stimulating to the senses (though I doubt that many of us would think of it as a blatant display of showy and/or colorful reproductive organs deliberately exposed to the sun, the wind, and to passing insects).

Not for the first time, words fail me. Back to the keyboard.

Comments (12)

• eddie_ga_7a
    20 years ago

But look at what you just wrote John, words are not failing you. Sometimes readers enjoy reading about the struggle of the writer to describe something indescribable like color or scent (without using a comparison). If you can't find the exact word, do as my family does and make one up.

• John_D
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Now there's an idea -- and then I could write about why and how I made it up and involve the reader in the creative process . . . .

• trudi_d
    20 years ago

Get a botanical dictionary, there's several ways to describe flowers in there. Start from there.

• John_D
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Trudi:
    Thank you. I have a botanical dictionary and I know the technical terms, but I'm trying to liven up my use of the language, not make it more pedantic.

• acj7000
    20 years ago

My dictionary gives one definition of 'landscape' as; " scenery as seen in a broad view". Which is a description limited entirely to sight. Is it that by relying on only one aspect of flowers you are doing the same. It could be that Trudi offers good advise also; this from Stearn's is almost a poem:-"caro pilea pallida. odore nauseoso, sapore amoro, fracta et exsiccata flavida" and almost as flowery in English "flesh of pileus pale with a sickening smell, with bitter taste, when broken and dried yellowish." I can't wait to use "flesh of pileus pale with a sickening smell".

• nandina
    20 years ago

John,
    A romp through Tony Avent's on-line catalog, www.plantdelights.com, may inspire you.

• trianglejohn
    20 years ago

Maybe you're looking at winter bloomers the wrong way.

Some of these plants are specifically designed to take advantage of certain pollinators available only during this time of year (in their native lands).

The relationship between pollinator and pollinatee is so evolved and fascinating. And the attempt to be the only one blooming in the forest in order to gain all the attention makes plants seem "in charge" of the situation.

Plants rule!

• acj7000
    20 years ago

Up here, without winter bloomers, EVERYthing goes the wrong way TJ.

• John_D
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Perhaps I am trying to break new ground where there is no new ground to be broken?

Who was it who said that "everything you can possibly say has already been said before"?

• eddie_ga_7a
    20 years ago

Is that just a different way of saying "There is nothing new under the sun?" When we were younger we learned by rote, as we grew older, hearing something once was enough, as we grow older still, hearing something repeatedly only serves to reinforce our memory.

• apprehend
    20 years ago

John, you must read the following article.
    Here is an excerpt. The possiblities hit me only after reading this thread.

http://www.nature.com/nature/first/fertilisation.html

During the winter of 1868-69, I had the opportunity of making some observations on this class of plants; the result being that I found that, as a general rule, fertilisation, or at all events the discharge of the pollen by the anthers, takes place in the bud before the flower is opened, thus ensuring self-fertilisation under the most favourable circumstances, with complete protection from the weather, assisted, no doubt, by that rise of temperature which is known to take place in certain plants at the time of flowering. The dissection of a flower of Lamium album (Fig. A) gathered the last week in December, showed the stamens completely curved down and brought almost into contact with the bifid stigma, the pollen being at that time freely discharged from the anthers. A more complete contrivance for self-fertilisation than is here presented would be impossible.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.nature.com

• John_D
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Fascinating! Thanks for posting it.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting