Return to the Garden Writers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just so Paul isn't so lonely...

Posted by IronBelly 5a - Iowa (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 21, 04 at 13:08

Our friend, Paul showed enough courage (Is that the right word?) to bare his written words as a sacrificial offering for us to slash away at. He told us these were his thoughts for a February article. I posted a February column that I write for our local Master Gardener newsletter on the Iowa Forum. Following in Paul's footsteps, I am mustering enough courage (Is that really the right word?) to place my article on the sacrificial altar as well. I have already spotted a punctuation typo or two. Grrrr... (See link below.)

IronBelly

Here is a link that might be useful: February Article

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just so Paul isn't so lonely...

Ironbelly, You don't need any help from me. Only saw an extra comma or two but that's nothing. It's a well put together story with good images - It flowed from beginning to end.

o

Very well written IB, with enough humour to add leven to the brew. It is evident that you write from "sod kicking" experience. My only criticism is the reference to communism that adds nothing to the general thrust and presents the only contentious issue in an otherwise pleasant read.

o

• Posted by Catkim z10 Sunset 24 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 21, 04 at 17:52

Having a personal aversion to acronyms, I would leave out the 'TC', as the term appears only twice in your piece. Unless the term TC is all over garden magazines and informs the reader?? Good storytelling.

o

It is funny that both Tony & Catkim both picked up on things that a little voice in my head mentioned to me as I wrote that article. I remember briefly pondering almost those exact thoughts. Of course, I forgot about them in the frenzy. This shows the value of an independent editor/proofreader.

IronBelly

o

I'm not lonely, just intimidated:)

Nice article.

It didn't have anything to do with courage. I needed feedback. Most editors are (claim) to be too busy for actual helpful feedback. So I can only improve by being critiqued. Everyone here has done a great job without being critical.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Writers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here