Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_ok

p allen smith

Paul_OK
21 years ago

Does anyone have contact information for mr smith? The Oklahoma Garden Festival would like to contact him about speaking at the festival in 2004.

This year we have:

Katy Moss-Warner

Mike McGrath

Felder Rushing

Lucinda Hutson

Dan Heims

Steve Dobbs

and others (including me:)

Last year it was

Felder Rushing

Ken Druse

Neil Sperry

Comments (23)

• trudi_d
    21 years ago

Hi Paul.....her has a website. There is a contact link on it.

Good luck with your lecture series!

Trudi Davidoff

Here is a link that might be useful: P Allen Smith website

• billsmoot
    21 years ago

Hi,

I have also been trying to contact p allen smith for several months now - and also last year. Haven't gotten any response from his web page - even anything negative after numerous e-mails. Wonder if anyone's home???

Hope you have better luck!

BillSmoot

• Paul_OK
    Original Author
    21 years ago

We have tried through website and through woman's day several times. Any other thoughts.

I would also take recommendations for really good speakers. I'm kind of particular. Just because you write a book doesn't make you a good speaker.

Has anyone heard p allen smith in person. it is amazing what they can do with editing on tv.

• Field
    21 years ago

I don't think P. Allen Smith exists at all. He's just a computer-generated robogardener.

• Paul_OK
    Original Author
    21 years ago

:)

That could be. I would think that he would want to be contacted by someone willing to pay for his time. I understand not having his personal phone number on the website, but a bussiness contact just makes sense.

I even checked the garden writer assocoiation. He isn't listed on the speakers bureau. Maybe I will have to dig out my directory. Anyone have their directory easily available to check for me?

• eddie_ga_7a
    21 years ago

I checked the GWA directory and found no listing for P. Allen Smith. Reminds me of the nursery that had articles by a fictious character - Amos Pettigrew, I think.

• trianglejohn
    21 years ago

He exists, he was involved in a commercial growers conference this last fall. I only heard about it from friends, don't know if it was in Maryland or Georgia. Don't know if he spoke. He is based out of Atlanta I think. He is starting a new P. Allen Smith Collection, perennials and bedding plants organized and promoted by himself and a bunch of garden centers over here on the east coast. You need more than six speakers? What has Steve Dobbs been up to since he left Oklahoma Gardening? And who's doing the show now?

• Paul_OK
    Original Author
    21 years ago

We are already starting to line up speakers for next year. Actually, we have about 26 speakers. There are only 2 speakers that speak more than once. You can find out more about our festival at www.okgardenfestival.org

Steve Dobbs has his own nursery in Southeastern Oklahoma and is head of grounds maintenance for University of Arkansas Fayettville ?I think?

Steve Owens is the host of Oklahoma Gardening. He does a very nice job.

• Paul_OK
    Original Author
    21 years ago

I did it! Well at least I think I did. I am in contact with his personal assistant... I want a personal assistant. Maybe someday I will need one.

I finally made contact through his website. I sent messages through the comments section and to allen@ and smith@

I don't know which one actually worked. Our speakers committee is very happy.

• Field
    21 years ago

Here's another lead, Paul. I got a notice in the mail yesterday evening that he has his first book coming out in February. Consequently, he's to be at a series of book signings. Among them is one at Blooming Colors Nursery in Grapevine, Texas, on April 27th. If you care to check into it (or maybe attend), their telephone is 817-416-6669, and their URL is www.bloomingcolorsnursery.com.

So, I guess he, or a decent replica, does exist;-)

• Paul_OK
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Hey,

I don't charge nearly enough to speak. P Allen charges $5000 for an honorarium.

• Field
    21 years ago

I cannot imagine why any goup would pay that kind of money for what he might have to say. But I sure would like to know if his agent is taking on any more clients.

• Paul_OK
    Original Author
    21 years ago

I just heard a better one. former FEMA director charges 18,000 to speak. Maybe public service can payoff in the end.

• veronicastrum
    21 years ago

Speaking of FEMA, maybe there's hope for greenhouse owners yet! The office of homeland security is urging homeowners to have a stash of duct tape and plastic sheeting to seal off a "safe room" in case of a terror attack.

I am uncovering all of my houses today (so what if the plants die in the below-freezing weather) and selling all of my plastic sheeting for outrageous prices to panicked homeowners. I've got to do this fast, before everyone figures out this is about as useful as that duck under the desk drill they taught us at school in the early 60's.

• sbeas
    21 years ago

Good one Veronicastrum. This alert stuff has become the boy who cried wolf. I think the regular crazies, drunks and druggies are more a threat to me everyday than the terrorists, so I wish we would do more to keep the garden variety threats at bay. Our society seems to love an exotic fear that we can spend millions on while the infrastructure goes to ruin. Sharon in OK

• peaceofmind
    21 years ago

After reading Smiths new book I think he is probably out trimming hedges. He seems to be very fond of them.

• gardenwitch
    20 years ago

I have always thought that P Allen Smith was like the Monkees of music, totally created in a studio to be what the public wanted . Cleancut,(The pressed Khakis and blue oxford shirt) Cute and Boyish,(brushing his sandy blond hair back) sexual preference (???? ). His information is entertaining but never really anything new,his book the same but with lovely pictures. If he is real I am sorry to see him sell out to the Gods of marketing like so many others . I guess the lure of the Mighty dollar is just too much to past up.Even Felder Rushing has sucumb and now sells plants on the home shopping network.

• nasiii
    20 years ago

Mr. Smith is very circumspect in revealing any information about his location. His bios are very generalized, and all traces of current location have been purposefully edited from his book. He probably did this not only for privacy, but also to keep his book from becoming a regional gardening book. I find it important to know where an author is gardening, to help judge how applicable the planting suggestions are to my area. That being said, I really enjoy his bookand shows. I believe he lives in Little Rock, Arkansas... at least that is where his first gardening segment was broadcast...I think...

• eddie_ga_7a
    20 years ago

After all this talk about P Allan Smith I was amazed to just run into him at the Garden Writers Association conference in Chicago - even had my picture made with him. He is a very gracious person.

• paulasullivan9
    20 years ago

Couldn't possibly have been him. He was with me on the mother ship.

• Paul_OK
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Mr smith is speaking at the Wichita Garden Show. I am going to try and get up there and see his show.

• designingwoman
    20 years ago

Gordon Hayward ('Stonescaping', etc.) is a fine speaker and a wonderfully well-organized person--meets deadlines, has his handouts ready on time, is very accomodating in terms of "customizing" his topic to audience interests. He has a website.

Rick Darke is also excellent and probably has the best visuals I've seen--his photography is stunning. He also has a website.

• eddie_ga_7a
    20 years ago

Brooks Garcia gave an outstanding talk at our club, You can find him at the link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Brooks Garcia