Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pinetree30

Can I sucker gardeners into buying my book?

pinetree30
18 years ago

I'm finishing a book on natural history of bristlecone pines. Would gardeners be more disposed to buying it if I include a short chapter on cultivars, and using the trees in the garden? Would appreciate your wisdom.

Comments (16)

• trudi_d
    18 years ago

"Can I sucker gardeners into buying my book?"

No. Not if you treat them disrespectfully by saying you're going to sucker them.

Maybe change your selling point to one that's more attuned to offering a reference product to assist those folks who are interested in bristlecone pines.

• ginny12
    18 years ago

I agree with Trudi. And will add that I have gone, like so many others, to see these in a national park and I would be interested in their garden use and such info, even if they don't grow here. Didn't even know they were available.

• eddie_ga_7a
    18 years ago

I sense some are not particularly happy with the wording of the "can I sucker gardeners into buying my book" but I also see the underlying point which is: how can I increase the marketing on my book to a greater audience? By all means, do offer info on cultivars and garden use. Show pictures of them in their natural state, placement in individual gardens, uses such as bonsai, lots of photos and list sources. Gardeners are always interested in knowing obscure facts such as which are our oldest living plants? How far out of their natural range can they be successfully grown? Are they propagated from seed or "suckers?"

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    18 years ago

Was not 'Can I sucker gardeners...' a tongue in cheek title to grab the interest of readers here?

My opinion from the information given is that this is a book with a narrow focus and a limited audience, perhaps students and researchers? I might read a book of this nature at a library, but as a general rule I wouldn't buy a book that has no impact on where I garden.

I wish you well.

Nell

• pinetree30
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Lighten up, Trudi -- don't writers have license to play with words?
    Good suggestions, Eddie. Thanks.

• trudi_d
    18 years ago

Sure they do. However, consumers hate getting suckered--and that WAS your opening statement. You didn't say you were going to offer, but sucker, and that's VERY different from selling.

You can lighten up a bit too ;-)

• eddie_ga_7a
    18 years ago

Haven't heard from INKognito in a while but I see others are stepping up to the plate. By now we should all be so lightened up that we're just floating around like vapor on a pond. Speaking of vapor-
    There is a special name for the mist in pine barrens. Can anyone think of what it is?

• trudi_d
    18 years ago

I wish could light & up right now ;-o

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    18 years ago

Curiosity got the better of me, Eddie. I HAD to search for '"Pine Barrens" +mists' and found few forestry sites. The searches ran to online novels and poetry set in the New Jersey woods and spooky sites with black backgrounds, horror movie themes and other depressing notions, principally the 'New Jersey Devil.'

I came up with three choices: fog bank, ground fog and acid rain. I hope you will share a more descriptive phrase, or will I have to read John McPhee?

Nell

PS I did find a nice Acrobat file with an extensive list of plants threatened in Georgia, so all was not in vain.

• trudi_d
    18 years ago

I found a story about the NJ Devil and while reading it, I began to wonder if this tale may have influenced the story writers of The Blair Witch.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Jersey Devil

• The_Mohave__Kid
    18 years ago

I'll buy the book with or without the chapter but I'd like to have the chapter as well .. I have read your work before and those books stay on my prefered book shelf !!

Good Day ...

• happyhoe
    18 years ago

Pinetree great catch phrase.

If it s botanical book you may just want to include a appendix witha a list of cultivars.

Most conifer nuts will by the book regardless.

• Hasaki
    17 years ago

Hi Ron,
    Have you finished the book?, any latest info appreciated.

• pinetree30
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I expect it to be out in Fall 2007, by Mountain Press in Missoula. Sorry I didn't see your post earlier
    Hasaki.

• kmanzfive laknee
    17 years ago

Trudi- needs to get some (way too up tight). Resin I'll buy it. Your knowledge has help my garden...more than you know.

• desiderata
    17 years ago

Whoa!
    I haven't been to the GW forums for months on end...
    just happened in tonight to see what's new and saw in the index the 'writers'..
    this is the very first thread I happen upon and me thinks me better be cautious around you folks here...
    no one seems to be afraid to speak their 'words'.....lol

I'll lurk before I ask too many questions..gotta get me feet wet before I get dunked in this pool.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor