Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eddie_ga_7a

Me Too

eddie_ga_7a
20 years ago

You showed me yours so now I'll show you mine, The following is just something I wrote off the top of my head to submit to our Master Gardener newsletter editor, please feel free to critique it:

NOTHING TO DO

by Eddie Rhoades - BSG.com

At the December meeting of the local Cobb County Master Gardeners it was mentioned by someone, I wonÂt say who, that January could be considered a non-gardening month. I suppose there could be a small element of truth in that statement as the pace definitely does slow down. With a mug of hot coffee in hand I walk about the garden and observe that, quite naturally, the vegetables and flowers are all gone, along with most of the leaves. Bulbs should have already been planted, likewise pansies. There really is less to do at this time of the year and that alone is a blessing. That doesnÂt mean there is nothing at all to do. If it were summer we might well be complaining about the heat, the drought and the mosquitoes. But at this time of year mosquitoes are not a problem, we are blessed with natural air conditioning, and not much watering is required because plants (and people) are not stressed by the heat and drought of summer. With conditions like this, now is the perfect time for certain projects:

I am, or should be, digging postholes on 8 foot centers so I can erect a wooden privacy fence around the back yard. Intermittently I will be doing a little pruning as I move about the garden and see the need for it. I have a screech owl box that needs installing plus I need to continue adding to a stone wall and rock border project started earlier. I just love the look of stone - it's strength and permanence. Then it's time to fertilize the pansies. All this physical activity is good for your body. It builds strength and endurance and helps you sleep better. Just be careful not to overdo it. I know I certainly wonÂt be overdoing it because at my age Âafternoon delight means taking a nap.

Later in the day I plan to look out each window of the house to assess the garden view and decide what more needs to be done. I will do the reverse by walking out to the street and critiquing the view from that angle. Those are the views that matter the most - the one you will see from your own windows and the one the public sees as they approach your home.

Garden guru, Walter Reeves, once gave some of the best gardening advice I have ever heard when he said Âneatness counts. Structures, walls and walks define the garden, art and ornaments enhance it and plants and color decorate it, but in order to look good it must be neat and clean. It will be much more impressive if it is uncluttered so put away those empty pots, hang the tools back where they belong, do whatever it takes to make it look nice. With all that in mind I just hope I can get most of it done before February, the next non-gardening month.

Here is a link that might be useful: my BLOG

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting