Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john_d31

Flora and fauna: do you write about the animals in your garden?

John_D
19 years ago

I have been fighting rats since the turn of the year. The skirmishes started when I discovered a rat in one of my birdhouses. As I knocked down the bird house, two rats jumped out and vanished in the bamboo. The next day, I discovered that the rats had started nests in two more boxes.

Those, too, were destroyed, and I thought I had permanently dislocated them, but a few days later my wife took her car in for maintenance, and the mechanics discovered a large ratÂs nest on top of her engine. This meant war.

I am now checking the bird houses every day and destroy every one that has a ratÂs nest in it. I feel just the tiniest bit guilty because one of the rats is pregnant  which makes me feel like IÂm the landlord who keeps sending a rodent Mary and Joseph out into the cold.

Unfortunately these rats donÂt have far to go, because two of my neighbors have colonies (and donÂt do anything about them), one under a utility shed and the other in a crawlspace under their house.

They keep sending in their cats, but the cats are scared of the rodents and try not to annoy them.

The raccoons and skunks kill their share of rats, and so do the owls, but they can barely keep up with the population right now. I hope this will change when they have young ones to feed later this spring.

Wild animals  opossums, raccoons, skunks, and birds are welcome in my garden. I have been taking notes about them for more than decade and they will get a chapter of their own in my book.

Comments (9)

• katycopsey
    19 years ago

No - I tend not to write about rodents, but I can sympathise with your problem. My invading rodent climbed into my SUV heating system. It then expired and left me with a $400 bill! We laugh about that one now, but rats are another problem. From my mother's experience, it needs a professional to irradicate the area - they are unhealthy and can cause problems to more than the flora and fauna of the area.

• John_D
    Original Author
    19 years ago

The problem -- and one I might get an amusing story out of -- is that my neighborhood is a seaport, a ferry port (I bet some of our rats came from Alaska or Vancouver Island), and the former Cannery Row of Bellingham. Rats have thrived here for at least a hundred and fifty years, without the professional rat catchers making much of a dent. My main focus will be to tell homeowners how to keep them out of the house and how to harass them in the garden. Who knows, I might even discover a was to keep them out of the neighborhood altogether. (Yeah, sure. Maybe I should get a fife and pipe them out onto the tideflats at a minus tide.)

An acquaintance had one come up through his toilet. He's now afraid to flush.

• John_D
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Oops.
    Make that "I might even discover a way" instead of "was".

• Cady
    19 years ago

I figure every writer east of the Mississippi has written about woodchucks at one time or another. I have... ;)

• ginny12
    19 years ago

Deer, deer, deer, deer....They get my vote for the most written-about animal east of the Mississippi. The problem that cannot be solved. They all but thumb their hooves at me as they pass by my windows each twilight to dine upon my shrubs.

• inkognito
    19 years ago

In my opinion a 'was' rat is the best kind. Did you know that a pair of rats could be the head of a family of 15,000 within their lifetime (4-5 years)? That is a lot of rats. I had a rat catcher out once because a girl friend saw one in the kitchen and nearly had a heart attack, I had no idea there were rats, I thought is was a ghost. When they died from the poison they would stagger into view and suddenly go stiff, me too, it was quite a performance, the dead ones were certainly more evident.

• Cady
    19 years ago

Rats are everywhere, even in the finest neighborhoods. Nothing is funnier than seeing the unmistakable look of denial on the face of an affluent homeowner when he/she encounters one of those furry little bastiges feasting on leftover brie.

• John_D
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I know how fast they breed: I once raised rats to feed a screech owl I was rehabilitating. The owl had the run of the house, and I found out that an owl carrying a half-eaten rat across the living room causes quite a stir at a party. (The owl lived on top of a tall cabinet and it carried the rat around just to show off.)

• Cady
    19 years ago

Heh. When I was a teaching fellow at the science museum in Boston, we had a roomful of owls (great horned, barred, screech, etc.), each of which was fed rat "pinkies" that were donated by a local lab animal breeding facility. They used to send us crates of hundreds of the squirmy things every week.

Sponsored