Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_rgv

Transplanted Garden Writer

Paul_RGV
19 years ago

Hello Folks, formerly Paul_OK I'm now Paul_RGV

The RGV stands for Rio Grande Valley which is the Southern most part of Texas, Generally a subtropical area. We actually had snow and a freeze at Christmas. I am now learning a completely new plant palate.

I hope everyone is having a great winter. I hope to see many of you in Vancouver in Sept.

Paul

Comments (8)

• eddie_ga_7a
    19 years ago

Hey Paul, when I was in Lawton,Oklahoma we had a saying that if it weren't for Texas and the wind there wouldn't be any Oklahoma. You seemed to enjoy yourself at Long Island last year with the Garden Writers and I hope to see you in Vancouver this year. So you're in zone 9? Wow, you definitely can grow citrus, loquat , Oriental persimmon and maybe lots more. Let us know what strange and exotic plants are grown there

• bostongardens
    19 years ago

Hi, Paul ~

Best Wishes to you in your new home (and Zone)! GWA is going to Oklahoma next year. Looking forward to getting the scoop from you! In the meantime, DH and I are looking forward to Vancouver. Never been there and hear it's beautiful.

• John_D
    19 years ago

When does spring start in the RGV? Hope you can start planting soon,

• Paul_RGV
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Spring starts in November, if you dont have watermelon planeted by end of january you might as well skip it for the year.

We actually had a pretty good freeze and the first ever white christmas, so some plants (bananas, bouganvillia(sp?)look a little rough right now. We have 100 4gallon buckets with soiless mix that made the move with us. They are being planted right now. Didn't have room to bring the compost piles so I just packaged up a little of my friendship compost to start a new pile.

Anyone else have friendship piles? For our 30th Birthdays (yes Eddie I'm just a kid:) We had a party and asked everyone to bring something to build a new compost pile. It was great and I had to bring a little of it with us.

Paul

• John_D
    19 years ago

Thirty? I was once told never to "trust anyone over thirty."

• bostongardens
    19 years ago

To Paul (and Eddie) ~

I made a mistake regarding the GWA Annual Convention in Oklahoma -- DUH!

Next year ('06) it will be held in Philadelphia; in '07 it's scheduled for Oklahoma City.

John D may be right. I am *way* over thirty!

• eddie_ga_7a
    19 years ago

Well alright. Philadelphia again. I love PA, South Street and all that. I wrote about PA in one of my articles about the Garden Writers. I think it is titled "Crossing The Mason Dixon Line."

• katycopsey
    19 years ago

wrote about PA in one of my articles about the Garden Writers. I think it is titled "Crossing The Mason Dixon Line."

Being translplanted many times from England thru many US states, I can say that the MD line has relevances second only to the zone map.
    Zone 3 - not even mint is perennial (I am told);
    The MD line is the line between - I can garden and I need a greenhouse.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville