Return to the Garden Writers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Politics of Publishing

Posted by John_D USDA 8b WA (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 14, 04 at 0:45

Interesting New York Times story. I'm happy to say that my books have gotten five star reviews from Amazon.com (and others), without me or my friends writing the reviews.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oh what wicked webs we weave

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Politics of Publishing

Stuffing this one into the waste basket.

o

John, Would it be possible to post the story and reviews here? I'd like to see them.

o

• Posted by John_D USDA 8b WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 15, 04 at 13:07

Eddie:
I can't. It's a copyrighted story and Spike frowns on that. I'll se if I can email it to you.

o

John. I got the article and read every word of it. It was very interesting but is a world I haven't ventured into yet - the Amazon reviews. I suppose it is to be expected that given the privilege of critiquing someone elses work pettiness will come into play if one can be anonymous. Glad you haven't been subject to any of that.

o
Review Politics

• Posted by John_D USDA 8b WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 15, 04 at 13:53

Glad you got it without a glitch. Yes, I've been lucky -- so far.

o

I once posted a very critical review of a book on eastern trees on amazon.com, and gave it a low rating. I credited the author with competence in his subject, but found the book poorly organized, difficult to use, and very unattractive, with awful photos. The author actually emailed me saying that some favorable reviews he had received discredited my review. So you can get flak for honest reviews if they don't come out the way the author wants them too -- but that's part of the game, isn't it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Writers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here