Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acj7000

'When you catch an adjective, kill it'

acj7000
20 years ago

So wrote Mark Twain, and Voltaire? he wrote that " the adjective is the enemy of the noun," strong stuff eh?

Wasabi wrote a piece that was loaded with adjectives that stamped it as a wordy style but surely some adjectives even adverbs are allowed. Read this article http://chronicle.com/free/v50/i24/24b01301.htm and tell me what you think.

Comments (18)

• clfo
    20 years ago

Good article, acj. Every writer should read it. In "The Elements of Style" it says "Write with nouns and verbs, not with adjectives and adverbs. The adjective hasn't been built that can pull a weak or innaccurate noun out of a tight place." I would say it this way: if you're using adjectives, make sure they're IMPORTANT. If they are providing crutial information they are allowed to stay.

• pkock
    20 years ago

Great article, yes. It completely explains what many of us had to say about Wasabi's writing sample. Show, don't tell.

• lazy_gardens
    20 years ago

A very GOOD writer I know (multi-published SF and Historical fiction) has an interesting exercise - Write a short piece with JUST nouns and verbs and connectors. Then insert ONE adjective or adverb per sentence. Then another.

Or, take something you have written and delete all the adjectives and adverbs. Can you still tell what it is about? If not, you need to rewrite it.

• apprehend
    20 years ago

My 6th grade grandchild was doing an exercise for english class that is trying to teach this concept in writing. Anyone that used the words 'good' or 'bad' in the writing assignment(almost everyone in class apparently) had to write five sentences telling why something was good or bad and then replace the original usage with another word.
    The teacher often gives this assignment for words that the students tend to over use.

• apprehend
    20 years ago

I hear you John D. Yes it is the same thing I will make myself clear.
    The teacher wants them to give more information about the subject and let the reader decide if it is good or bad.After which the student can state their opinion but must use a more precise indicator.

• John_D
    20 years ago

Dear apprehend:
    I don't understand your reference, "I hear you John D." since I have not posted to this tread. Please elaborate. (I'm on the road this week, visiting far gardens, and just peeking in for a sec.)

• apprehend
    20 years ago

JohnD, it was not a dig.
    Your work as an editor shows as you seem to be able to ask what I mean and push me to explain. I thought I would do so before you caught it this time but you still were able to get me to explain myself.Is this a habit of yours or a weakness of mine?

• John_D
    20 years ago

I guess it's my editor's persona. LOL.

(I'm off to grab some sleep before I head out tomorrow to look at some more rain forest gardens. Thereby may hang a tale.)

• eddie_ga_7a
    20 years ago

So apprehend "apprehended" the question even before John D asked it and went ahead and answered it. I can understand John D's perplexion at this female logic. If everyone would do this it sure would save a lot of time.

• clfo
    20 years ago

Of course there are exceptions to every rule... I was thinking today of Kipling's "The Elephant's Child," eg "The great grey-green greasy Limpopo River all set about with fever-trees."

I just reread this classic; it's swimming in adverbs and adjectives, and it's marvelous.

• wasabinsoy
    20 years ago

I enjoyed the Chronicle piece Tony. Thank you for posting it. I especially appreciate "The only good use for that kind of adjective is comedy"

Sabi (whose satirical story was too wordy to be funny)

• apprehend
    20 years ago

Of course sometimes the sound of words used is as important as the meaning. Together they can form a picture, a feeling.

In translating this review of a poem by Oscar Wild, Levine must bring the feel of Borges work as wll as trasmit his words.
    Petulant vanity
    grandiose vagueries

A Poem by Oscar Wilde
    Jorge Luis Borges, 1925
    Translated by Suzanne Jill Levine

http://www.themodernword.com/borges/borges_wilde.html

Here is a link that might be useful: The modern world Borges/Wild

• Pterostyrax
    20 years ago

Would it be possible to write a meaningful, adjectiveless wine review?

Actually, the preceeding sentence is a classic example of needing an adjective to make the sentence convey the essence of my question. Certainly it would be possible to write a wine review without any adjectives, but would the resulting review be meaningful?

• inkognito
    20 years ago

It is the structure of the sentence that obscures the meaning rather than the lack of adjectives, isn't it?
    Would it be possible to write a meaningful wine review without adjectives?
    Would a wine review without adjectives be meaningful?
    I don't think you could write a meaningful wine review without adjectives.
    It is impossible to write a meaningful wine review without adjectives.
    It is possible to write a totally meaningless wine review by using overblown language with lots of adjectives.

• shadowgarden
    20 years ago

I will be bold and quote myself

On Words

"Move over word!" I give it a shove
    (ItÂs a heavy one, it has four syllables)
    The four letter words like hate and love
    Arrange more easily in rhyme and meter.

Perhaps theyÂre not specific enough.
    Short words donÂt define as clearly.
    But if you want a word thatÂs tough,
    DonÂt use a word like persevering
    resilient
    pugnacious
    unyielding
    untimmorous
    obdurate
    intractable

Just say tough!

Published in Once Upon a Time Vol13, #4

by Rebecca Sellers Terrible

• laa_laa
    19 years ago

To write with basics only, without falseness.
    I will write accounts and listen to words. I will make a river which will flow .
    Words, words, and words.
    No!
    Words do not flow without the assistance of sweet, soothing, ambitious adjectives and adverbs coloring my thoughts with vivid hues, expressing my desire to send my words out to touch, and therefore become a part of the world. .
    (consider this an abstract, like a non-objective painting... I know, it doesn't really make sense.)

• poppa
    19 years ago

What kind of adjectives?

• big_john
    19 years ago

Then all my favorites will be mounted on the great wall.
    Everyone shall see them, my trophies exhibited proudly,
    and know a man of many words has learned to economize.

bj

Sponsored