Return to the Garden Writers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jumping the fence. . . .

Posted by John_D USDA 8b WA (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 5, 04 at 12:07

A friend has asked me to do something I haven't done in a long time: help me restore (or perhaps redesign) the garden of an old farm house she is buying.

It will be an interesting experience which I am planning to record in writing.

Have any of you jumped the fence from writing to hands-on design for others? And what have you experiences been? Good or bad? Exhilarating or overwhelming?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jumping the fence. . . .

I've gone the other way...from full time designing and building for others to writing. The measure of worth of the former was monetary...the latter enjoyment. Good or bad? Don't know, but far afield from overwhelming.

Sabi

o
RE: Jumping the fence. . . .

As far as writing goes I may be the low man on the totem pole. A switch was made when I was asked to do a design for a Church courtyard. Then I was asked to implement the plan. Next I was asked to maintain this garden, all this on a very, very low budget. I was proud of the look of this courtyard with the brick edged walk, the specimen plants and the thick beds of perennials and annuals and the seating area I made from treated lumber. I put quite a bit into amending the soil. You would not believe all the things I put in it like alfalfa meal, greensand, crushed granite, borax, epson salts, water polymers, osmocote, pine bark, perlite, vermiculite and lots more in abundance. The fact that no one would help with the weeding and watering and other chores caused me to finally walk away from that garden. I did a 6 X 8 demo garden for the Flower Show at the Fair and they covered it with ribbons and it won a crystal. Its theme was Yard Art and it contained one of the worlds rarest plants: the Anheiser Bush.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Writers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here