Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chubbles_gw

Proposal advice

chubbles
19 years ago

I've written articles before, but I am interested in pursuing a book idea that I have. Do you have any advice on what/how much to put in your proposal? What kind of detail do you provide?

I might simply write the book regardless if I get a publisher up front, but it would be much easier to do it the right way.

Thank you.

Comments (13)

• John_D
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You first might to want to check the writers' guidelines of the publishers you're planning to contact. Also, be sure to tell the prospective publisher why your book WILL SELL.

• chubbles
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yeah, they like the money. ;)
    Thanks John.

• John_D
    19 years ago

Unfortunately, these days, the money is ALL they like. But that, too, is a trend that shall pass.

• katycopsey
    19 years ago

There are a few good books out there that address how to put together a proposal for a book. One is by Larsen and although it covers fiction as well as non fiction, it details the basics. Also get a copy of the Writers Market from the library or purchase online/your local bookstore. It gives the who to submit to and how for each major publisher. Not all publishers are part of this publication but it is a good starting point.

• John_D
    19 years ago

It seems that there are publishers' representatives hanging out on this forum.

• pinetree30
    19 years ago

The book Katy refers to is "How to Write a Book Proposal" by Michael Larsen, published by Writers Digest Books. I have slavishly followed this book's recommendations for three books, all of which were picked up pretty quickly, and I strongly recommend it. Writing a tight proposal forces you to focus on just what you are envisioning, and is a great organizing tool. Market research is just a small part of the total proposal, though essential. An important function of a good proposal is that it allows a publisher you have not worked with to judge your competence and decide whether you merit an advance.
    So why am I now deeply involved in the writing of a book which I have not discussed yet with any publisher? Damned if I know.

• chubbles
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the great advice. I will read Larsen's book.

• George_in_MA
    19 years ago

Here's a link to the best piece I've read on putting together a nonfiction book proposal (I believe it originally appeared in Writer's Digest).

One thing that shall never pass is that publishing is a business. Apparently this comes as a shock to many. Writers, and particularly new or would-be writers, are among the more self-centered and self-absorbed people you're likely to meet, so it's difficult for them to view their book idea or work-in-progress as a bar of soap. But from a business perspective, that's exactly what it is. At some point, everyone involved with selling your book will only ask of it, "How many in a case, what can I buy it for, and when can you ship?"--and this includes you. If you're serious about selling a book to a publisher, it helps to come to terms with this: Publishers are looking to produce products that turn a profit (there's something insulting about this?).

I looked at this board for the first time only yesterday (I spend most of my time on this site reading the rose forums). From the handful of posts I've read, I get the feeling that many here have convinced themselves that publishers are looking only to publish crappy books--as if there are thousands of brilliant manuscripts out there that can't find their way out of the slush pile. (I was surprised to see this sentiment expressed by at least one established book author.)

I have two books in print (McGraw-Hill) in a subject area other than gardening. And yes, there are a good number of crappy books published in that game as well. But I think there probably are a good number of crappy books being published on every subject (surprisingly, a few of them even sell well). But what I don't believe is that bad books prevent good books from being published. That's just absurd. Publishers are always looking for good books to publish. The owner of Cold Springs Press has posted on this board. He's looking to build his list--as is every publisher--and has invited the authors here to send him proposals. I've never talked to the man, but I guarantee he'll tell you that he just doesn't see that many good manuscripts or proposals.

Everybody would like to HAVE WRITTEN a book. Very few people are interested in putting in the tremendous amount of work it takes to actually deliver a book. If you have a good idea for a book--and yes, one of the criteria of a good book is that it will appeal to a large number of potential buyers--and you're serious about putting in the necessary work to see the project through, you will be able to find a publisher for it.

If that kind of labor isn't your cup of tea, that's fine. But if you're sitting on your hands because you actually believe that publishers are interested in publishing only garbage and that your gift to gardening letters--should you ever get off your butt and write it--wouldn't stand a chance of seeing print, then you're simply deluding yourself.

George

Here is a link that might be useful: Bullet-Proof Book Proposal

• John_D
    19 years ago

"Everybody would like to HAVE WRITTEN a book. Very few people are interested in putting in the tremendous amount of work it takes to actually deliver a book. If you have a good idea for a book--and yes, one of the criteria of a good book is that it will appeal to a large number of potential buyers--and you're serious about putting in the necessary work to see the project through, you will be able to find a publisher for it."

Very true. But often editors -- and more importantly, publisher's sales reps -- don't recognize a good book when they see it, no matter how often you tell them that it will SELL. Or they just check and see what books from other publishers lists sell and they want a book just like that an search for a writer to produce it.

Anyone who thinks he or she has a surefire seller, but can't convince a publisher of its potential should self-publish. If a self-published book sells well, it is often picked up by a commercial publisher.

(I've written about a dozen books for several publishers, of which six are still in print; several in their fourth edition. The two books I self-published were a flop.)

• George_in_MA
    19 years ago

"Anyone who thinks he or she has a surefire seller, but can't convince a publisher of its potential should self-publish. If a self-published book sells well, it is often picked up by a commercial publisher."

John, please don't take this the wrong way--because I don't mean it to be insulting--but you sound like a much younger writer than I know you are. I looked up your books on Amazon. Any author with a dozen books under his belt has been around the block a few times, and any author who has a book in print that's in its fourth edition has done something right.

I'm a little surprised to hear you recommend self-publishing, as your two attempts at it were self-described flops. Were these books ones that you thought would be "surefire sellers"...?

Even if an author can come up with the big lump of money it takes to self-publish, and manages to produce a decent book--most attempts at self-publishing I've seen have been pretty sloppy--there is still the problem of marketing and the nightmare of distribution. (I'm writing this for anyone thinking of mortgaging the house--I assume you've learned the perils of self-publishing the hard way.) Self-publishing success stories do exist, but they're much more rare than New York Times bestsellers.

The first book I sold was passed on by two publishers before it was bought. The first publisher thought it was a good idea for a book, but for various reasons, couldn't take it on. (This is another thing new writers have trouble understanding: Publishers can't buy every book they think is good.) The second publisher had no idea what I was talking about--he passed on it as well. That was fine with me; I wanted a publisher who knew what I was talking about. The third publisher who looked at it bought it.

Ideally, we want a publisher who understands what we're talking about. If he doesn't, and you can't convince him you have a great idea for a book, you need to move on and find one who does understand what you're talking about. I haven't looked into it, but there have to be at least several dozen publishers out there who publish gardening books.

Editors and publishers are only human. No editor or publisher really knows whether a book is going to hit one out of the ballpark. I'm sure nobody associated with it ever expected The DaVinci Code to become the phenomenon that it did. And I don't think Bill Clinton's autobiography has ever earned back the ridiculous advance he got. No matter how many times you tell a publisher your book will sell, it doesn't necessarily make it so.

Before I would consider self-publishing, I'd need to be rejected by more than a couple publishers. And then I'd have to take a hard look at the book and ask myself why I couldn't convince one of those publishers--all of whom are actively seeking books to publish--to buy it.

Most book projects don't get rejected because editors and publishers are halfwits, but because they're simply not good ideas for books. In the article I link to, Bob Bly lists five questions that all publishers ask of any potential book project. Most would-be book authors I meet--and I meet a few of them--have never asked themselves even one of these questions.

• John_D
    19 years ago

George:
    Please note that I put the "If" in "If a self-published book sells well" into italics.

I should add that I have not written a book proposal for twenty years. Somehow publishers have always found me first. As for my two self-published books, I published them myself because I knew there would be no commercial market for them but I wanted to share them with readers and friends. So I guess it's not totally correct to call them "flops", especially since my records indicate that I broke even.

• katycopsey
    19 years ago

The publishing game is one of those that weed out the could be from the no chance books, then look at the selling ability. Nothing really to do with the worth of the book, more can it sell.
    eg - we are an aging society and if we are going to garden in the next 30yrs we really should start thinking of raised beds before we get the wheelchair! Logical - yes, would make sensible writing - yes, would it sell - heck no! who wants to admit to being old before we have to!
    What sells is how to build walls and make magnificant landscapes that no one can afford to put in. When was the last time you saw a book on how to landscape a new home on a budget that went to paying bills - these folks cannot afford to buy the book let alone the trees.
    And the refs to Cool Springs Press above - I have met some of their people and know some folks who have published with them - very nice to work with, good company. DId they accept my proposal - nope, but good group anyway - this is a business, I didn't cut it for them.

• John_D
    19 years ago

I just looked up Cool Spring Press. I must admit that I have no respect for publishers who rate their writers by their religion (no matter what that religion may be.) At least CSP is open about it: "we recommend that you enlist the services of an established literary agent; particularly one acclimated with the Christian Publishing industry." I guess I won't ever have to talk to them.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz