Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wasabinsoy

Is an affected writing style appealing?

wasabinsoy
20 years ago

Hello all,

I typically frequent the Landscape Design, Japanese Gardens or occasionally Perennials, Bees, Soil or Orchards forums, but recent comments have led me to visit here.

While I have a fair command of language, my formal education is not broad. I have long enjoyed writing, have published a few articles in magazines, (mostly financial topics), but do not consider myself accomplished by any measure. Still, I have a yearn to try my hand at punching out a couple of books.

Im not at all clear as to this business of writing style. I understand that differentiations exist, but not what it all means. Does oneÂs pen style dictate the range of topics logically approached? Does it severely narrow the audience? Can a more technical writer be trained to tone down verbiage?

I enjoy the interplay of multiple and/or hidden meanings and have always written from the cuffÂedited a bit here and there for order or meaning, but whatever Âstyle has evolved has generally been after the fact, not by design. Most early efforts were dry and insufferably pedantic, but as I play with different topics, more recent product, while pithy, has lightened up a bit.

That said, I really have no clue, aside from occasional compliments, if any of my work has potential and humbly hereby request feedback, critique and suggestions to improveÂand welcome books, websites, etc., favorable offerings or scathing comments you would like to levelÂ

Sabi

By way of example, following is a recent bit of off-the-cuff fiction inspired by the true story of an exploded whale. While not laudable content, and admitedly intentionlly affected, I submit it to illustrate style.

The old hermit gardener rested his weary bones by a rustic hovel in the wood by the bay, tired after gathering twigs and neatly clipping them to length. It mattered not that they would all soon be consumed in flames to heat his tea water...he admired the way they were carefully aligned in neat bundles, musing over the deeper meaning of order in nature.

Suddenly, a loud boom interrupted his tender reverie, followed by a crimson fetid shower, the nature of which he could not fathom. In a blink of an eye his rough hut and all that he had built was forever altered. He looked about aghast at the unexpected dramatic changes. The essential order was still there, but a sticky mess dripped from the eaves of his shelter and the branches all around him, fouling all he could see. His joy now extinguished, he wisely concluded it was time for him to move on. Out of work, low on funds and realizing that he could not long sustain himself on crow alone in the now eerily pink, slimy and odiferous forest environ he set off to find greener pastures.

Knowing he was seeing it for the last time, he gazed about his abode through eyesight dimmed by welling tears. He sat briefly, inventorying his meager, but precious belongings. Sobs racked his carriage, but only momentarilyÂÂI canÂt blubber away over what is doneÂI must move on to find work he thought. Gathering up papers and his favorite plaid thermos, he tied them into a kerchief and fastened the satchel to the end of a stout length of devilÂs walking stick. He stooped a final time to clear the doorway of his former lair. Tired, but resolute, he crossed the clearing, pausing briefly against an over pruned Shishigashira to catch his breath.

Before trudging on he turned to gaze one last time at what he had once considered a most welcoming environ. In the dimming light, the dripping pink slime lent a surreal air to the forest. He hated to leave but knew he must escape the thoroughly unexpected and sudden reign of indescribable horror. Wearily hoisting his precious parcel, he wondered briefly about the nature of the stinging pain on his shoulder. Scrunching up his jacket for more padding, he turned and disappeared into the strange odiferous mist, footsteps squishing as he plodded through the odd ooze. Behind him, in the eerie calm of sunset, a single unobserved green leaf made no sound as it slowly drifted to settle neatly on a background of uncharacteristically red moss beneath the maple, signaling a natural, albeit most curious end to a tenured era.

Part two.

His journey was a difficult one from the outset, the path ahead not at all clear due to the growing darkness and his footing unsure in the putrid mammalian slime. His lungs ached as they heaved, both from effort and the pain of his broken heart. The kerchief across his nose and mouth did little to stem the fuggy, vile stench that invaded his nostrils with each hungry gasp for breath, but he stoically stumbled on through the red ferns. ÂI must find a well-traveled road or I most surely will perish and no one will even know I am gone he thought as he slowly inched forward, his hard fought progress but a snailÂs pace. Twice he stumbled only to catch himself with his walking stick. Comforted by his stout rod, he wound his way through the shallow valley, picking his way toward a rise ahead.

His hands bled from slight punctures as the araliaceae staff he carried chafed though his worn gloves. Aha, he finally realizedÂÂI always keep two of everythingÂI have another pair of gloves in my satchelÂIÂll just wear them over these for better protectionÂ. Taking advantage of the momentary pause, he took just a sip of stale ginger tea from his favorite plaid thermos, saving as much as he could. He removed the gloves, then carefully re-wrapped his bundle to protect his precious earthen jar of ethers before donning the extra set of skins on his aching hands. After finishing this simple task he trudged on with a thin but renewed sense of self reliance and confidenceÂ

Unable to reconcile the idea that he would likely never again return to the wood by the bay, he entertained himself with sweet memories of time spent by his hovel. While his had been a lonely existence, he had found pleasure in maintaining the little clearing in the thorny brush by the path to the sea. Many a misty morning had been spent clipping water sprouts from his beloved Japanese maple. It did not matter to him that it looked more like a catÂs back than a lionÂs head. His pruning skill had been honed on that tree and now he missed it and his rustic hut terribly.

Big crocodile tears welled up in his eyes as he fondly reflected on his many thoughtful journal entries by the fire. At least he had a record of all the good times, together with his other important papers. ÂThose credentials may help convince prospective future employers of my design capabilities he thought as he crested the small hill.

He sat tiredly on a Eucalyptus stump to catch his breath while he gazed at the blinking lights of his favorite city across the Willamette. Weary from his struggles, he decided to spend the night there on the small knoll, despite the overpowering malodorous stench. Gathering branches to make a kit, he reasoned that tomorrow would be a new dayÂhe would visit the public works department to see if they might need his expertise. Gathering his garment about himself he was comforted by the idea that the familiar scent of his perspiration soaked, cloak might somehow mask the strange rotting and oily stench that had befallen the forest. As the strange alchemy of scents assaulted his olfactory organs he thought for a moment he smelled cat scat. At last exhaustion released him from his cares as he slipped into a dreamless albeit olid slumber.

Comments (39)

• acj7000
    20 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The style is satirical sabi and the text contains a lot of in jokes which means that you have to be sure of your audience. If a reader is not prepared to look for the clues then you have lost him, on the otherhand if he is prepared to go along you have an easy style that lends itself to the OTT and the grandiose and the reader will be captivated.
    With your nose for a hot topic you should have no problem in coming up with subjects and if you stay with the same style you will find it ideal for lambasting sacred cows.
    The real work of writing is probably taking what you are calling an off the cuff piece and editing it to suit a publisher.

• John_D
    20 years ago

Interesting start for an organic gardening book. You already have the fertilizer nicely distributed.

• acj7000
    20 years ago

Did anyone find Johns comments useful, constructive or what or is it just me?

• John_D
    20 years ago

Tony:
    Suffering from cabin fever?

• clfo
    20 years ago

I offer the following comments in the spirit of your request for "suggestions to improve."

Try to avoid clichés weary bones for example. Find a new way to say it.

When things dont make sense, it takes the reader out of the story. I am reading along, trying to understand what our character is going through, and my mind is pulling back and saying What? Was his plaid thermos already filled with ginger tea? Or did he, in the face of mysterious pink slime raining down from the sky, stop and make tea and fill the thermos? And later, did he stop to hunt up TWO pair of gloves before fleeing?

Make sure that what you write in one sentence doesnt contradict what you wrote in the last. How can he be comforted by his walking stick while its pricking his had through his gloves? Which is it, a comfort or something painful?

Make the details clear and important. Consider the following sentence: Big crocodile tears welled up in his eyes as he fondly reflected on his many thoughtful journal entries by the fire. The term crocodile tears means fake or insincere tears or crying. Why was he faking it? Especially since no one else is there, and hes thinking of the journal fondly. And why is the detail of the fire given? Youve included random details that dont gel together or give us important information.

Style is fine, but everything has to work as a whole no matter what your style is, or you end up with niggling details that dont jibe, and the reader cant enjoy the style or what youve written.

• wasabinsoy
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thank you Tony and C.L. for your insightful and helpful comments. This is exactly what I am looking for and I appreciate your time. This type of feedback I can use...

John D, I notice many of your posts attempt to be wry yet appear dunning (or should I say dunging?). Unique style?

Sabi

• John_D
    20 years ago

Wasabi:
    You lost me. Could you please elaborate?

• wasabinsoy
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Perhaps I too suffer from cabin fever. Please accept that in trading jibes I am not trying to take you to task, rather, just curious if it is a stylistic tendancy, an affected persona, perhaps directed at only a few, or indeed a pattern? Acknowledging that 1) you have an unique and accomplished way with words, 2) I stretched meaning a bit with "dunning", 3) may have overreached in saying "many" posts, 4) refrainment from posting other examples may deter a brawl and 5)I resemble the observations...I respectfully suggest you seem to derive pleasure from shitting on, and or changing topics and offer the following definitions by way of elaboration:

Wry = 1) Dryly humorous, 2) Temporarily twisted in an expression of distaste or displeasure, 3) Being at variance with what is right, proper, or suitable; perverse

Dunning = (typically written) attempt to extract (as in payment)

Dunging = 1) The excrement of animals, 2) Manure, 3) Something foul or abhorrent

Shitting = 1) to defacate in, 2) to tease or try to deceive

• John_D
    20 years ago

I'm still not understanding what you are trying to get at.

• acj7000
    20 years ago

Of the two styles demonstrated I find the enigmatic, less direct more appealing sabi. Your target will not be able to understand either one and the former is far more entertaining.
    That out of the way.
    Don't clfo and I agree in a strange way? I understand the in jokes and recognize that cliché is an essential part of the style but cl doesn't and offers an outsiders critique that astutely pinpoints these very things. All in all I think it was a fitting eulogy and very powerful in the way that details were linked. Encore! I say.

• clfo
    20 years ago

I absolutely agree, acj7000! Writing is a great deal like the visual arts that way. Back in the day I was an artist who worked in photo-generated collage. When I read reviews of my work I was always astounded at the variety of interpretations. Often they were 180 degrees away from my thinking, but nevertheless, they were right on the mark... just not the mark I had intended.

• wasabinsoy
    Original Author
    20 years ago

...let me put it another way...if denial and obtusity get married in Kentucky and divorced in West Virginia, are they still brother and sister?

• pinetree30
    20 years ago

Frankly, I cannot comment on the story because the opaque, overly adjectival style put me off and bored me. So I was unwilling to read more than a few lines. I don't quite understand your objectives -- if it's to challenge Tolkien then your ponderous style may have weight to the readers of such literature; but if it's to address garden questions or plant science, etc., then clear away the brush and get down to clean prose. So, no, an affected style is not appealing to me at least.

• johnp
    20 years ago

ugh.

• eddie_ga_7a
    20 years ago

Who would be your audience? Like Clfo, I wondered about the aralia spinoso walking stick - how it could be a comfort then a pain but those are literal details. I did read every word. I am enjoying reading others comments.

• John_D
    20 years ago

Who would be the audience? Punk rockers?

• wasabinsoy
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Now we are getting somewhere...In addition to the candid observations of Tony and C.L., it is good to hear other substantive comments. If this topic drags anyone out of lurking into contributing, so much the better. This stuff makes me think and learn and I appreciate the constuctive criticism...

It may surprise some to hear that I absolutely respect and concur with your unfettered opinions. I especially appreciate Ron's candid assessment of the writing "style", as ponderous. Given the dripping slime I wonder if he perhaps also implied pendulous? ;) I also appreciate his metaphorical suggestions of how to improve. John P said much with little..."ugh"...but, John D...you're mynah chiming may be style consistent but contradicts your own actions. You were obviously an early reader turned critic...are you a closet punker?

The quickly penned story was not meant to challenge anyone, especially Tolkien, as I'm too much of a light weight to even think in such terms. It was however, intentionally dense, obtuse and peppered, as Tony points out, with numerous insider references and conflicting bits of information (the aralia spinoso walking stick was to illustrate the odd impenetrable non-logic logic of our fictional hero). That several readers picked up on these oxymoronic details pleases me, but if I ever attempt to write for a broader market, it will be with less dissimulation.

I enjoyed the exercise, but the unclearly affected style fell obviously short of artifice while nonetheless communicating nuance to a narrow audience.

Sabi

• catkim
    20 years ago

Without insight into the insider references, one might conclude the story has no plot development, or at the very least, is incomplete. Your descriptive abilities are excellent, but I would agree, the style is ponderous, and unlikely to appeal to today's readers who, raised on the Disney video where something happens every 30 seconds, have little patience for a slow-moving hermit gardener. To summarize, your writing is good, but the story is dull. Since this effort was more a spontaneous exercise in sarcasm (wrong word?), if your turned your efforts to more serious writing, I suspect you would be successful. (I am speaking as a reader, not as a writer.)

• pkock
    20 years ago

I enjoy stretching my vocabulary as much as anyone, but can't help but wonder why you insist on using so many "big words" when simple ones would do. Showing off? And I agree with an earlier poster - there are far too many adverbs.

• wasabinsoy
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Pkock (or should I address you more formally as "Peacock"?),

Some people think in different languages...some view the world in terms of colors...some interrelate mathematical meanings with all things...some are dyslexic...some have ADHD...some write and speak simply...some don't.

For whatever reason, I happen to enjoy playing with language. I look for words in or out of correct context and appreciate subtleties including multiple meanings. I tend to use sententious, facund or even limning words and work on my vocabulary while trying to improve my word usage by learning from my own and other's mistakes.

Examples...silly me, I was not aware until being corrected by C.L. that "crocodile tears" connoted false or insincere crying. From her kind comment, I learned of my error.

Similarly, you may not be aware that your statement "there are far too many adverbs", while perhaps complimentary or parallel to C. L.'s comment regarding "the opaque, overly adjectival style", (which I presume you are referring to), is not technically in concord with hers. C.L.'s critique, (which by the way contains three adjectives) offered with subtle, mordant wit, referred to modifiers of nouns while your objection relates to verbs.

Just as spices impart distinctive flavor to recipes, so select words used in appropriate context can lend unique meaning to a passage. In attempting to employ them am I showing off? (or perhaps sowing off ;))...hardly...to me it is more like exercising.

Verbosity, aside, I yam what I yam, so I write as I think. I have no illusions about pleasing everyone, so I don't worry much about it. I don't generally set out to ruffle feathers for the sake of it, but sometimes it happens.

Sabi

• wasabinsoy
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Apology: I erroneously attributed a comment regarding "the opaque, overly adjectival style" to clfo....it was Ron Lanner's (pinetree30) observation, not C.L.'s.

Sabi

• pkock
    20 years ago

Sabi, I don't mean to be rude or discouraging. I'm aware that writers do have varying styles, and thank goodness they do. And I did realize, as soon as I'd posted, that Ron didn't refer to adverbs, but adjectives. My mistake, but I stand by my opinion. One thing writers are constantly told is to minimize use of adverbs, because overuse of them is a sign that you're telling, not showing as you should be. This is particularly a problem in fiction.

You say that you enjoy playing with words and experimenting, and exercising. That's great! Perhaps part of my criticism stems from my own need to write material that is marketable; I sometimes forget that not everyone shares that goal. Ouch, that sounds like an insult - I don't mean it that way! What I mean is this: if you enjoy writing this way, by all means, keep up the good work! But if your goal is to sell your writing, you might consider some alterations.

• wasabinsoy
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I think I get your longhand point...you're telling me that if I want my writing to sell I should be showing without showing off.

Thanks for attempting to politely clarify your position.

sabi

• acj7000
    20 years ago

Elmore Leonard has a very spare style. His writing is laced with humour, some of it dark. Leonard writes stories that are driven by the characters. He has ten rules of writing that I list below. I know that garden writing is a different kettle of fuchsia but I thought these rules would be useful in the context of working on an appealing style.
    1) Never open a story with the weather.
    2) Avoid prologues.
    3) Never use a verb other than "said" to carry dialogue.
    4) Never use an adverb to modify the verb "said".
    5) Keep your exclamation points under control.
    6) Never use the words "suddenly" or "all hell broke loose".
    7) Use regional dialect, patois, sparingly.
    8) Avoid detailed descriptions of character.
    9) Don't go into detail describing places and things.
    10) Try to leave out the part that readers tend to skip.
    He sums up these rules by saying "If it sounds like writing, rewrite it."
    These are not my rules of writing, although I agree completely with the sum up, nevertheless we could discuss them.

• lazy_gardens
    20 years ago

wasabi -
    You have a good premise - could be funny - but the style is what editors call "purple prose" ... overly verbose and adjective ridden, full of trite phrases (weary bones), with the action concealed by all that verbiage.

• johnp
    20 years ago

On a chilly winter night that was dark but not unusually dark, rather more indigo than navy blue, actually, thoughts twisted like smoke over the rooftops in towns, cities and farms across the continent. Little did the forum readers expect what would soon befall them.

"What?!" The churlish pimply author suddenly squeaked, pulling at the frayed cuffs of his dirty denim shirt with the missing button. "Whaddaya mean? No exclamayshun points?!!!!" he said slowly, lingering over every consonant.

It was then that all hell broke loose.

• eddie_ga_7a
    20 years ago

Johnp, I know you meant your post to be facetious but I thought your style was interesting in a humorous way and that is good. It gives me an idea for a new post.

• shenandoah
    20 years ago

I find the question confusing. When would an 'affected' writing style ever be appealing? (def: "1) mannered; artificial; 2) assumed or simulated to impress others.")Seems like we suffer from enough of that already, no?

In reading your material (and I commend you-- you are very brave for putting that much of your work out on this forum) I supposed that you meant your piece to be tongue-in-cheek. If you are aiming for a full-blown satire, are you clear about what aspect of human folly you are being ironic about? Satire has some basic rules, as do all genres. In my opinion it is so important as a writer to know what genre one is dealing with when one sets out to write a piece for publication. At this stage in your career it sounds like you're looking for a new venture. Have you asked yourself if you want to write fiction, creative non-fiction, (essays, etc.) or non-fiction feature writing? I think it's a mistake to let your writing style dictate the type of writing you choose to do -- we are not hired for the style of writing we do but for the content we provide. An editor, having read a manuscript, may then request that the writer make the piece wittier, more entertaining, less verbose, more practical, etc., but is less likely to say "I like the style of this piece but I don't know what it's about. Could you give it a subject?"

You may have a good chance of success if you assign yourself some specific areas of writing that you want to learn more about (sounds like you've got financial writing nailed)and then read published pieces in those genres. Another good place to start is the local college, or a regional writers convention/workshop, where writing classes for adults are offered along with valuable writer networks that can be tapped for practical advice and feedback.

Hope this helps.

• acj7000
    20 years ago

See what happens when you break the rules John? It does help to illustrate a point though without Shenandoah's preaching tone. If you set out to write a piece that is meant to be overblown or a pastiche of your subject (target) then obviously it has to be silly. It is quite another thing when someone writes with serious intentions, in the style that wasabi was sending up (affecting).
    The question still remains, for me, considering that garden writing appears to be a serious subject, what are the rules?
    "we are not hired for the style of writing we do but for the content we provide" is a ball breaker for sure and I would suggest that someone like Henry Mitchell was not hired for that reason.

• eddie_ga_7a
    20 years ago

First page of Henry Mitchell's book, I thought "This is great, I'm going to highlight the profound stuff." Second page of Henry Mitchell's book, I thought "The heck with this, I'll be highlighting the entire book."

• wasabinsoy
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Am I to surmise that if the message really matters, writing style is secondary?

Writers (garden or otherwise) you think best deliver worthy message with style?

sabi

• acj7000
    20 years ago

I think you may have misunderstood me Eddie.
    It was suggested that content was all that mattered, I gave Henry Mitchell as an example of a writer who wrote "profound stuff" as you call it but with a style that puts life into the subject.
    In other words his writing has both content and style. He does not present new "profound stuff" he presents old stuff in an original way.

• eddie_ga_7a
    20 years ago

And, as always, you are right.
    Eddie

• acj7000
    20 years ago

Are you having a pop at me Eddie? You sound like my wife there.

• eddie_ga_7a
    20 years ago

But you were right. When I just wrote that bit about his profundity I really didn't give much thought to style or content. Your last post did remind me of the woman who said "I didn't know when I married Mr. Right his first name would be Always." Wives have a way of giving us a reality check, I know mine does.

• shenandoah
    20 years ago

Last time I checked, Henry Mitchell was a writer renowned for the quality of his content. I suggest that he most certainly is hired for his ability to deliver content in a well-written, restrained and literate style. Consider passages like this one from One Man's Garden: "All I require of society, in the matter of gardening, is a decent awareness that gardeners have a greater stake in society than others, and an occasional reflection that no life is worth living without a vine or a fig tree."

Providing content as a garden writer does not mean that one should be restricted to writing manuals. It means that one's offerings should be meaningful, concise, and above all, original. Style is not as important as what one has to say, whether you're writing about horticulture or world history. Style naturally follows content if you're an educated and disciplined writer who is in this profession for the long haul and you are constantly practicing your craft. Count the number of adjectives in the passage I quoted and you'll see what I mean.

• wasabinsoy
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Points well made, neighbor. Henry Mitchell's work is on my short list. Thanks for your insights.

sabi

• Video_Garden
    20 years ago

i'm not a literary person, but from what I can tell is that the style overall, reminds me of screenplay writing, e.g.:

"Gathering up papers and his favorite plaid thermos, he tied them into a kerchief and fastened the satchel to the end of a stout length of devils walking stick. He stooped a final time to clear the doorway of his former lair. Tired, but resolute, he crossed the clearing, pausing briefly against an over pruned Shishigashira to catch his breath."

What I mean is that the writing style is very descriptive in terms of both actions and local, and less informative psychologically in terms of the character. Psychological states of the character, I guess, are inferred through these very discriptive, or highly visual/cinematic passages - as in a screenplay. This last passage for instance can be viewed in terms of cinema as a shot. Where sometimes visual clues such as location and character gestures play a larger role in the telling of the story, rather than the actual character dialogue or narration:

"Behind him, in the eerie calm of sunset, a single unobserved green leaf made no sound as it slowly drifted to settle neatly on a background of uncharacteristically red moss beneath the maple, signaling a natural, albeit most curious end to a tenured era."

...it's cinematic.

• lisa_a
    20 years ago

I'm curious . . . how did you, Wasabi, hear about our exploding whale tale? It happened more than 30 years ago. Each year on its anniversary, KATU airs the story, showing the same tired footage, but I didn't realize it made the news anywhere else. I wouldn't have believed the tale well known enough to spark a story by someone living on the opposite coast (thanks for sharing).

Not that it matters for your story, but are you aware that you took literary license by putting the Willamette so close to the coast (where they blew the whale up)? Or perhaps your hermit is a *very* speedy walker. ;-)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus