Return to the Garden Writers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
too close familiarity?

Posted by pinetree30 Sierra Westside (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 25, 05 at 14:05

I am trying to write a chapter on a rather involved tree life history topic. In the past I have written articles about some of this material; and I have written sections of since-abandoned books on other parts of the material. I find that now, in trying to put it all together to form a more complete story, I am actually hindered by this history of involvement. It's hard to approach it with a fresh mind, and I don't think I can very well stitch together some of the old pieces, because there are stylistic differences in the parts I've already done. What would you do -- go back to the drawing board and tear up everything that's already on paper? Or edit like crazy to merge the pieces together in a hopefully seamless way?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: too close familiarity?

• Posted by John_D USDA 8b WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 25, 05 at 16:18

I'd go back to the drawing board and start from scratch. I have found that I tend to bog down in old material, while starting anew lets me see things I had not noticed (or emphasized) before. This makes writing a lot more exciting for me -- and, hopefully, for the reader as well. Once I get going, I have found that writing new text actually takes less time than reworking old copy.

I never take an old book on the road with me when I'm about to write a new one.

For example, right now, I am writing a new book about the West Coast (among several projects). While I have already written several food, wine, and travel books about the West (plus several hundred newspaper and magazine stories), this new book is taking a totally different tack and, while it will touch on some of the "old" places, it will be as different from my previous write-ups as I can make it. I've already done a lot of historical and site research, delving much deeper than I have before. This is also making the project a lot of fun.

o
RE: too close familiarity?

I would just clip out the facts as research already done, and then, as John suggested write from scratch. By the way, did you know you need to footnote yourself for any published work. This is another reason to just start over.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Writers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here