Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_ok

Lost a job

Paul_OK
20 years ago

Well,

I hope you don't mind if I vent a little frustration. I have hosted a 2-hour 2 man radio garden talk show for the last 2 years. (Lots of 2 huh) I have also hosted a 1 hour 1 man show for the last 8 months.

I received a call from the program manager Monday night at 7pm at home. I'm Done.

The reason communicated to me is that the sales staff is haveing a hard time selling remotes because of my stance. I am an organic gardener personally. I tried to give both the organic and conventional answer to the callers. I think it is more an issue that the cost of the remote has climbed every year(it is now $3500 for a 4 hour home and garden show.) We now have a total of three garden radio shows not counting McG on NPR. The radio station has also lost about 80% of the sales staff over the last 6 months. Maybe it was a little bit of all of it.

Easy come, easy go. It will be interesting to see who they replace me with. At least I get Saturday mornings off for a while. I am now working on/waiting for a new opportunity. Maybe I will use some of that time to work on my book. I actually have a subject and have started on an outline.

Comments (8)

• wasabinsoy
    20 years ago

Politics often have a lot to do with staffings at local stations. Years ago I did a three times a day financial spot with a local affiliate. I had a replacement (we worked at the same brokerage firm) who filled in for me occasionally. He was friends with the (then) station manager who was eventually fired for mismanagement. Anyway, long story short, when the manager and I could not agree as to new format guess who took the slot?

Move on quickly....you'll feel better for it. Applicable adage....a new door generally opens when an old one closes...

Sabi

• John_D
    20 years ago

Sabi is right: Politics, politics, politics. I've also noticed that media sales people have gotten very lazy over the last decade, wanting to deal only with sure-fire projects and, in some cases deliberately killing creative projects because they would have to do some work to sell them. Unfortunately, the same is true for books and magazines.

I hope you will take that opportunity to work on your book. I've found it helpful -- whenever I feel a slowdown coming on -- of setting aside a number of hours every day when I force myself to write something, whether it's good or not. Once you've written it, you can go back to edit it -- something I find easier to do than getting it down in the first place.

In the meantime, best of luck. Just keep in mind that we're here to give you emotional support and to help push you along.

• Worm_Girl
    20 years ago

Wow, that's too bad. There are so many great companies selling organic products--Safers, Gardens Alive, Whitney Farms, etc. etc.--too bad they couldn't find sponsors.

Well, yes, maybe it's an opportunity and you'll get going on that book!

• eddie_ga_7a
    20 years ago

Paul,
    Just ride by the station managers house at night and toss out a couple of water balloons filled with Roundup - it will make you feel better. Or you could take ryegrass seed which is cheap and write "IDIOT" on his lawn. You don't have to actually do any of these things but I hope just reading them makes you feel better. It would be nice if you could look at it as a positive experience that has ended as all things must, and which, as the others have said, creates new opportunities.

• johnp
    20 years ago

the radio industry has gotten more competitive in recent years so don't feel too bad. Nobody likes canceling and program.

• Paul_OK
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thank you everyone. I am starting to adjust to the idea. I have only taken 1 saturday off in over two years so manana will be a treat.

Eddie, Thank you you made me smile. You are also right about it being a positive experience. Not that many people get to host a radio show at all, much less for over two years.

Paul

• eddie_ga_7a
    20 years ago

Once when I was layed off from my job at Lockheed for a year I worked at my Dad's printing shop when my younger brother still lived at home. I stopped by a Feed & Seed store on the way home and bought a grocery bag full of annual rye. Dad and I put sweet gum balls and pine cones on the front lawn to spell out in huge letters my brothers name "BOB" and sprinkled the seeds over this. Then we picked up the pine cones and stuff and watered the grass which was brown from the winter cold. Within a week you could see tiny bright green blades coming up. By the second week the name "BOB" was so prominent on the lawn that cars were slowing down to take a look. Dad had a big grin on his face at that practical joke we pulled. Today my brother jokes that he might take some rye grass seed over to the cemetery and spell "BILL" on dads gravesite.

• trianglejohn
    20 years ago

Sad to hear about this Paul. It does point out that there are hidden costs and pressures behind what appears so obvious. I work for a small publishing company (not books) and it is impossible to find salespeople that are willing to accept an entry level position. Hard work getting other people to spend their money. Even the old timers that have sold advertising their whole lives are feeling pinched. Tough times.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County