Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john_d31

Research and Writing

John_D
20 years ago

I spent much of last week on the road and it looks like I'll be doing the same next week, though I'll be closer to home (no flying; shorter daily drives).

It's going to be interesting, because I'm still trying to digest the data from last week's trip. Fortunately, I was able to take copious notes.

But it seems that, the older I get, the longer it takes me to convert those notes into publishable text. That was not always so: in my younger days, when I wrote for newspapers, I was able to go out on an assignment, return to the newsroom, and type my stories straight into the computer. Now I need more time -- sometimes weeks or months -- to come up with a text I'm happy with. I'm not totally convinced it's a matter of age. It might just be a change in medium from newspapers with their immediate deadlines to books (and magazines) with deadlines that can be months or even years, in the future.

What kind of experiences have you had with deadlines? Do you ever have to write garden column/story a year ahead of time?

Comments (2)

Sponsored