Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katycopsey

garden blogs

katycopsey
18 years ago

Not sure if you guys noticed but at the top of the general garden writers page is a 'highlights' to blogs, which are current topics of interest to the gardening community given in a timely manner. This would seen to be the angle that Gardenweb/ivillage was going for when they inserted that 'can be used' section. Seems they are just reposting some of the entries to the 'blog' section and linking back to the original.

Could be a way to get more people coming in, perhaps, or getting us to contribute to other areas.

What do you guys think??

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    18 years ago

Since you asked, Katy, and nobody else ventured, here are my thoughts.

Garden Web Forums were originally an exchange of ideas. A question or presentation was answered by more than one person presenting points of view. Discussions generally kept to a single topic.

The new feature here consists of some persons scouring the net for random bland tidbits to toss to what could be eagerly waiting neophyte gardeners who will in the meantime buy the products of the advertisers, or possibly those who don't choose to google for themselves.

Fast Food, or Pablum? A reader's digest of the virtual garden world? We are all quite able to search for practical, factual information that applies to what we need to know. I will not daily sift through a hodgepodge of vanity trivia and personal opinion hoping for something useful. If I want to see a close up photo of a tulip, I'll consult a bulb catalog.

Fortunately it's set apart from the regular Forums so that it can be ignored.

Nell

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    18 years ago

Nobody cares about the blogs? I changed my mind about scanning through them. I DO look, quickly, and I marvel that so many issues, geographical areas and interests are lumped all together. Would there be more interest if each was assigned to a general Forum area, i.e., All the Gulf Coast area in Southeastern Coastal Gardening Forum, all the upper western states and part of western Canada in PNW Forums, et al?

And what's with the link to Flickr for posting photos? After all the to do over 'owning' photos, now there's yet another photo spot, owned by the competing Yahoo at that and with an 'issue' with linking.

Speaking of blogs, I signed up for the email blog of a well known garden writer who used to post here sometimes. I received an acknowledgement, but he hasn't blogged since I joined.

Nell

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    18 years ago

Kate mentioned about the Voices blog being 'a way to get us to contribute to other areas. I decided to follow the Voices for a bit to see about the interaction.

So far, there have been 3 photos posted to the new photo area and no comments to the reblog, or whatever you'd call it since the end of February. Is this a reflection of disinterest, or is it too difficult to upload a comment?

I did notice that Eddie's blog has gained a place of honor. Way to go, Eddie!

Nell

• katycopsey
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, for better or worse I did put in the RSS feed to the GardenVoices area and my blogs will be picked up. I don't know if someone scours the blogs and just posts ones that are decent, or RSS delivers everything as it arrives and posts them all.I did notice some big names there too such as NYTimes garden section and a few other newspapers. It can also link back to the web page. Is it going to find me work??? doubtful but at least is out there.

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer