Return to the Garden Writers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Inspiring people through my writing

Posted by popi NSW Aust (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 7, 08 at 18:13

Hi there

I am responsible for a small group of people who do voluntary conservation work on an area of land that is an endangered ecological community.

I need to inspire MORE volunteers to help out with this work.

Can anyone give me the words to use to get people thinking about the reasons why they should help out once a month on this plot of land.

I have tried everything, over the years, to get more involved,and I think that people are so busy they don't have the time. But I think we should all do our bit for the environment !

I write an article in the local newsletter on various topics.

Any ideas greatly appreciated !

POPI

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Inspiring people through my writing

The best way to get people to do something is to tell them what's in it for them. Sad but true. So think about your project and let people know what they will get out of it--even if it's providing refreshments or an end-of-season barbecue/cocktail party, whatever. Food is always a winner.

But perhaps you can think of some other ideas. An inside look at someone's wonderful house or garden perhaps? I have a lot of experience with volunteer groups and this is how we lure them into helping. With such a worthy cause, you shouldn't have to do this but alas that is human nature.

o

• Posted by popi NSW Aust (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 8, 08 at 20:53

Thanks Ginny, I have organised a BBQ after a while of weed pulling, in March, on a Sunday. So we shall see who turns up to that.

I guess I want to motivate people more, some people are really good at that, but alas, I don't think I am !!

P

o

Try appealing to a young(er) demographic - reach out to the local high school, technical school or college to see if there's interest in hands on environmental field trips. Sell it in terms of a possible career path in addition to helping preserve something that cannot be replaced once lost.

We see it being done here fairly often - crews to work on parts of the Superior Hiking Trail or digging out invasive buckthorn in our in-city nature preserves, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Writers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here