Return to the Garden Writers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Obit

Posted by John_D USDA 8b WA (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 1, 04 at 20:02

Have you ever written an obit? For an animal? We took in a sick towhee today, and the poor bird didn't make it. So now my DW would like it if I wrote an obit. I feel like a fish out of water. . . .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Obit

Only when I was a small child 5 or 6 years old my pet rabbit died ... my older brother 10 or 11 wrote on the tombstone in the backyard grave .."Rest In Peace Bugs Rest In Peace " ... everytime my older brother would say that line I would burst into tears .. my pop became so aggravated with the whole thing he warned my brother not to say it again or he would be planted with the rabbit ....

Good Day .....

o

Dear Good Day:
That might make a good story if you wrote it up.

o

I've performed many a 'service', but never anything written. But a lifetime of pet and wildlife rescues will do that to you. Good luck.

o

John:
The hardest part for me is when the neighbors bring me a bird mutilated by one of their outdoor kittens. I know a first-rate wild animal vet and tell them to take it to her, because there's nothing I can do.

Maybe there's a story here.

o

You can do it John and you don't need any help from us. Just write what you feel or what you think your wife and others might like to hear - something like: his eye is on the sparrow , and every living creature is precious. I am reminded of the little boy walking along the beach throwing star fish back into the ocean, a man says to the boy "what you're doing doesn't make any difference because thousands of those things wash ashore" The boy paused for a moment then tossed a starfish back into the ocean and replied "It made a difference to that one."

o

Eddie:
You're right. We have to take them one by one.

o

My wife and I once watched as a grosbeak that frequented our feeder died over about 10 days. Eventually it fell over and died, probably of starvation because an eye injury prevented it from finding food a few inches in front of its face. Early in its travails we named it "Cyclops" because of the bulging eye, and being able to call it by name seemed to make it a closer friend, and its death more poignant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Writers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here