Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightstorm_gw

Where Can I Buy A Blank Gardener's Journal?

MidnightStorm
18 years ago

Can anyone tell me where I can buy a nice Gardener's Journal to keep my garden notes and make my garden plans? I've seen a few here and there but none of them are exactly what I'm looking for. There doesn't seem to be much of a selection out there (unless I'm just looking in the wrong places). I'd rather find a real journal than keeping my notes on my computer.

I was thinking that a spiral-bound Gardener's Journal or Planner book might be good. Something with a good qauality of paper (not the thin, cheap paper that local discount stores sell). I don't want a regular writer's journal with totally blank pages as I need something set up in a calendar-type format especially for gardeners. I'd like something with a pretty or whimsical cover.

Can anyone out there send me some links to companies who sell Gardener's Journals? Thanks for your help.

Comments (19)

• katycopsey
    18 years ago

I haven't looked for garden journals per se, but B&N and Waldenbooks/Borders etc have a decent selection of notebooks and writing gifts in their physical stores. One of the nicest I got (not from the above but a gift) was a scented garden journal from England. Problem was it was so beautiful that I didn't want to write in it! I still have it with very few notes inside, those that are there are on bits of paper.

• nandina
    18 years ago

In this age of computers I make my own on three ring notepaper (puching my own holes). Easy to do and months plus topics can be set up and printed for your needs. This way I can use the type of paper I wish, set up the paging with tabs, create an index, print out tidbits picked up off the web, etc. And, most important to me, it allows the flexibility to move notes on this year's trials/experiments into next year's journal so I have a continuous record. It is not a thing of beauty, just practical, which is what I need. Also, I include the pre-punched plastic sleeves into which I insert pictures and articles of interest. Many are doing their journals on the computer, but I prefer to have a hands-on record for each year.

• rusty_blackhaw
    18 years ago

I've found blank bound volumes to use as journals on sale at Borders. Inexpensive, good quality paper.

• botann
    18 years ago

For my first journal I used a large calendar with plenty of space to write in for each day. It hung on the wall and was readily available so I didn't forget. It was easy to refer to look up what was blooming, for instance, on a certain day. I then transferred the info at the end of the year into a regular journal but kept the calendar because I used it more than the journal. It worked for me.

• MidnightStorm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you all for the good ideas I'm getting (I love this web site!). I would really prefer to have a nicely-illustrated, 'store bought' journal to write my notes and plans in but I'm finding that most of those don't have any type of calendar in them; they're just totally blank. If I can't locate one soon I may need to re-think things. I might consider going with a 3-ring binder at that point, and just looking for some pretty template pages that I can print out from my computer. Call me crazy but I want my journal to look nice (not just untilitarian). So please keep the good ideas coming if anyone knows of web sites with garden journals (with calendars) or of garden journal template pages that I can download.

The journal in this link is a good example of a nice garden journal like I have in mind except that it doesn't have any calendar pages:

Here is a link that might be useful: Pretty Garden Journal (but no calendar)

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    18 years ago

To make my utilitarian white 3 ring binders more attractive, I cut out a page with photos or print one of my own to slide inside the clear cover.

Much of what we think about, someone has already tried. Have you tried a search for 'journal pages'? 'Garden pages' brought up garden web site pages, but journal brings up lots of templates.

Nell
    Here's one:

Here is a link that might be useful: Journal Pages Printables

• kimpossible
    18 years ago

"Lee Valley" (you can order on-line), is a great company that offers a few choices of different types of gardening journals. I bought a 10 year journal from them with all kinds of features. They also have alot of gardening tools, books, supplies, gadgets, etc.

• ritadc
    17 years ago

I found a great one at Monticello. You could probably call there and get one.

• ginny12
    17 years ago

Or go online to their gift shop.

• hollys_hints
    16 years ago

Check out www.aGardenersJournal.com
    This journal provides flexibilty. pages can be added and there is plenty of space to put your notes on the different charts & forms.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Gardener's Journal

• fohhoprez
    16 years ago

Hi, there. I have an unused Gardener's Journal from Gooseberry Patch that's been sitting on my shelf for a few years. If you'd like it, you can have it for $7 including postage via Media Mail. Please feel free to contact me personally about shipping the book. Thanks!

Pamela
    Fruit of Her Hands Organics
    www.fruitofherhandsorganics.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruit of Her Hands Organics

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Most of the boutique-type stationers will have very nice bound journals. I use mine for "pasting" notes from my mother, grandmother, pictures of them in their gardens, pictures of my garden and grandchildren/children but my "gardening notes" are kept on computer. The pretty journal that I have is for posterity, for the children to pass along.

• ray_organic
    15 years ago

I do hand bound journals with covers of my own blue jeans paper that I make by recycling old denim jeans. I am happy to customize a journal with page content, checklists, etc. I can even do a gardeners journal with a Japanese ledger style stab binding designed to be hung by the binding ribbon on a nail or peg in your potting shed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Jeans Paper

• bcronan
    15 years ago

gardenscribe is exactly what you are looking for - it is a high quality binder with beautiful pages, places for photos and tags and graph paper and templates to design gardens

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.gardenscribe.com

• bcronan
    15 years ago

gardenscribe is exactly what you are looking for - it is a high quality binder with beautiful pages, places for photos and tags and graph paper and templates to design gardens

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.gardenscribe.com

• lianed04_comcast_net
    15 years ago

Go to the Etsy hand crafted site. You will find some great ones that are fully formatted and ready to go in one of the online shops called PRAIRIE GARDEN (PrairieGarden). You can even choose from a variety of covers. Perfect!

Here is a link that might be useful: PrairieGarden

• acadia2431
    15 years ago

I bought a lovely one on Amazon. It's published by P. Allen Smith. Space for writing, pockets. Love it.

• cjc45
    15 years ago

You can put together papers that you like, including calendars, pictures, etc and take it to just about any copy shop and have it spiral bound.

• ncrobby
    15 years ago

Amazon has some really nice ones, expensive ones too. I have been looking for one too. Let me know if you find a really good one you like.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida