Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saul368

Internet source for free photo of tomatoes

saul368
19 years ago

I'm looking for a website that has free photos of tomatoes that I can download. I've written the piece on tomatoes, but I need a photo to go with the newspaper piece. Any help?

Comments (7)

• John_D
    19 years ago

Might it not be simpler to take your own photos?

• eddie_ga_7a
    19 years ago

It might be simpler to take your own photos but tomatoes may not be in season right now where you are although I notice you are in zones 7 through 9. Generally, nurseries, and there are several that sell only tomatoes, will allow you to use their photos especially if you will be listing them as a source for seeds and plants.

• kimka
    19 years ago

Go to the Agricultural Research Service's Image Gallery web page and do a search on tomato. You will find some really great shots in both low and high resolution. Since ARS is an agency of the U.S. Department Of Agriculture, none of the photos are copyrighted. (Don't limit yourself to looking at the thumbnails in the categories--those only a sample of the thousands of photos on the web site.)

Here is a link that might be useful: ARS Image Gallery

• wiandy
    19 years ago

Saul -

I have a couple pics of tomatoes that I took in my garden last summer. You're welcome to use then in exchange for crediting me as appropriate. Email me if you're interested.

Andy

• lazy_gardens
    19 years ago

If you use US government photos, you have to give them credit for the photo.

• trianglejohn
    19 years ago

The resolution is never good enough for glossy publications and only sometimes good enough for newsprint.

All internet material is 72 dpi (dots per inch). Most newspapers require 200 dpi but will sometimes take down to 140. So if the image on your screen is 6 inches wide you would have to condense it to half its size to intensify the resolution to 144 or two times the original 72 (72 x 2 = 144). So depending on the layout you can work with large internet provided clip art photos because 3 inches wide is fine for small pieces. But something like a tomato rarely comes in large format - they have limited space to store photos and they reserve premium space for things like sunset scenes. Well, at least in my experience.

• kimka
    19 years ago

You can download 300 dpi versions of the Agricultural Research Service's photos from the Image Gallery (link provided above). This is so they can be printed with. Lowere resolution version for internet use are even more available.

Actually since these government photos are not copyrighted, there is no legal requirement that you give the credit line. ARS asks that you do. It is polite to do so. But many don't online or in print.