Return to the Garden Writers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many words

Posted by John_D USDA 8b WA (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 30, 05 at 15:28

do you aim for when writing a garden book?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many words

As many as are needed to make the point, and no more.

o

Never having completed a book before I haven't a clue. But, in my book, I plan to use larger than average fonts for people like me whose eyesight is decreasing. Maybe you could look at some existing books and see if they give a word count or do a page count and take the average? Bear in mind you can make more than one point.

o

• Posted by John_D USDA 8b WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 30, 05 at 22:05

I've been doing 60,000 to 100,000 for different books. I was just wondering if any of you had some king of magic "golden mean." (A magic number of words that makes publishers eyes light up, I guess.)

o

Depends on the direction of the publisher. Get an agreement ahead of times on the number of words and photos. Gardening books come in different formats and uses. Many gardening books are 50 to 60 thousand words (includes index, table of contents).

Too many words is a pain to editors. Everyone is always over the number of words for articles, columns, books,etc. and then complain when editors 'slash' out info. If you don't want a hatchet job on your writing then give the editor a clean copy coming in at the expected word count. The less tinkering by the editor the happier he is and the happier you will be.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Writers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here