Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eddie_ga_7a

Poignant

eddie_ga_7a
20 years ago

As writers, some of us are aware that praise or feedback is a rare thing. Once when I was chatting with a person who wrote for years for the same publication I did said "Oh, Eddie, you can write circles around the rest of us." That really caught me of guard because this particular person moved in elite circles and was one of the movers and shakers of the local gardening scene. All the while I thought my garden writing was like something sheriff Andy Taylor of Mayberry might write. The next occurence that made me aware of the emotional strength of writing was when I had written a tribute to my Dad who had just died. I showed it to my sister-in-law and she never said a word back to me, she just read the piece in silence and teardrops ran down her face and fell on the paper. I accepted that as a testimonial to the power of the written word.

Comments (9)

• John_D
    20 years ago

Eddie:
    I would certainly have taken that as a compliment (despite the tragic setting). You are a good writer and deserve all the praise you get. (And you don't have to belong to an "elite" circle to write well. Some of those elitist types actually hire writers to write their stuff for them and editors to straighten it out before they submit it.)

• John_D
    20 years ago

Eddie:
    I just read your March 4 blog -- it seems to me that with your music and your writing you really have the right stuff to hit the big time. I bet people just love coming to your readings to hear you sing and talk.

• apprehend
    20 years ago

The written word is powerful. Maybe the internet is saving it.
    Forums everywhere, getting people to put thoughts down where many can see. Like the letters of yesterday that carried life as it was lived to the future.
    Seeing how well or how poorly one communicates in this medium may make better writers of us all.
    Or at least bring the writers and the readers together...

• eddie_ga_7a
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Ah yes, where would the writers be without the readers?

• John_D
    20 years ago

Best of all, the web can provide an almost immediate interchange between writer and reader as well as an exchange of ideas.

With a magazine, several months usually pass between the time a story is written and the time it is printed; with books the lag can be a year or more. Even newspapers take days at times.

• laa_laa
    19 years ago

Also best...is the sense of alter-ego, of being another person.....the chance to be anonymous in your writings.
    I like being known by a 'pen name'.
    In my case, I come from an extremely literary family, and I would never, NEVER show my work to them.
    It is fulfilling to be able to write as I wish and to get honest comments from my peers.
    L.

• John_D
    19 years ago

Lina:
    Why? I'd look upon that as a great opportunity for getting some first-rate critiques in a friendly family setting.

• poppa
    19 years ago

Apprehend: "Forums everywhere... bring the writers and the readers together..."

Perhaps I should start hanging out in your forums? Every forum I have been in eventually degrades into a sloppy frothing war of silly attacks and inane arguments. Admittedly, it just may be that the forums I participate in have one common factor, the inability to appreciate fine sarcasm.

Eddie: I agree praise is a fine thing.

Several years ago, there was an early writer website where people would pay to read your postings. Readers would rate your work and could recommend various authors by category. It was a fun concept that eventually went the way of most capitalist pig dot-coms, conveniently before I could cash my first check. That site generated my first fan email. Some lady with nothing better to read gushed over my attempts at humor, ranted over my unique perspective of life and praised my style, promising to watch for my new postings. It was a real joy to read. I just hope it wasn't my Mom.

Laa Laa : Anonymity! Got to love it!

I can't walk along the street without women pestering me for an autograph or wanting their girlfriend to photograph me in a romantic embrace with them as if we were long time lovers. Here, my money and devastating good looks count for nothing and women toss me electronic undergarments because of my brilliant mind, disarming wit, obvious sensitivity and the fact that I grow yard-long cucumbers.

Poppa

• eddie_ga_7a
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Poppa, you're crazy / funny, don' t give up on this forum.
    Eddie

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville