Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katycopsey

quiet - everyone is busy writing???

katycopsey
19 years ago

Its gone very quiet around here and I assume that is because you are all busy writing away and getting starting with your gardens.

My first spring flush of writings was printed last week in the spring specials, so nothing special in the wings for immediate pressure. The garden still has pockets of snow in it so true gardening is out of the question - but I did get my seeds out and have the catalogues at hand to do some orders soon - no time before now.

Comments (15)

• John_D
    19 years ago

Very busy writing. Two major projects.

• eddie_ga_7a
    19 years ago

I'm writing songs and one of them is a novelty tune about gardening. All this keeps me busy and offers a ready excuse on why I am not working on my gardening book.

• live_oak_lady
    19 years ago

Eddie, get busy. I have been waiting for that gardening book.

• ironbelly1
    19 years ago

Just got another story accepted by GreenPrints Magazine. Don't know what issue it will appear in yet.

IronBelly

• John_D
    19 years ago

Congrats!

• Susannes_Garten
    19 years ago

I'm digging...

• veronicastrum
    19 years ago

I have fallen victim to the relentless winter that will not end here in the Midwest. While we're not getting any real accumulation, it seems to snow every other day which of course means that our weather continues to be colder than normal.

I went to London three weeks ago. Lots of people told me I would be quite pleased to see how far ahead spring is in London. It snowed. Really.

Monday I had one of those miserable, discouraging days at work where nothing seemed to go right. When I got home I thought I'd take a walk around the yard to look for signs of spring and new growth. By the end of my walk, I really felt different. Yep, instead of feeling depressed, now I felt downright suicidal. The combined effects of prolonged cold weather, a new puppy (okay, this was self-inflicted) and the hungry rabbits will mean a lot of replanting later this year.

So about now you're probably sorry you asked. I'll go back to being quiet now.

V.

• John_D
    19 years ago

I think you should get at least a story out of that!

• eddie_ga_7a
    19 years ago

I'm so depressed I am inquiring about poisonous plants. Top that.

• veronicastrum
    19 years ago

Top it with boken apricot pits.

V.

• John_D
    19 years ago

Better write song about it. Quick! Before it's too late.

• veronicastrum
    19 years ago

Okay, here's a start. Help me out, Eddie.

(Sung to the tune of "On Top of Old Smokey" or "On top of Spaghetti")

On top of the monkshood,
    All covered in yew,
    I lost my poor dolls-eye,
    What eÂer will I do?

I tried belladonna,
    With foxglove to stew,
    But all that would happen
    Was one giant spewÂ

V.

• kellydn03
    19 years ago

Writing has been taking place over the course of the last two months. Had one article published with the Heirloom Gardener Magazine and sent in two more. Finished one for Iowa Gardening and have one due for Iowa Horticulturist. But I would much rather spend my time outside dreaming and exploring. The reticulatas are a tad late this year mainly because it has been a dry winter. Thankfully though we are receiving precipitation. I am absolutely giddy about the miniature dwarf iris and can't wait for them to bloom.

Oh why can't spring just get here?
    --Kelly D. Norris

• John_D
    19 years ago

I took out time to play in the garden today (some pruning, but mostly taking photos of flowers), but now the words are flowing and I'll be chained to my work computer (not this one) all night long.

• eddie_ga_7a
    19 years ago

Veronicastrum, I laughed all the way through your song - how creative. Ironbelly, I just got a rejection from Green Prints. KellyDee, thanks for getting us back on topic.