Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stunmilie

TV documentary production

stunmilie
20 years ago

I am very keen to have a TV documentary produced, about a subject that I am passionate about. I love the concept of the edible landscape. This has been the basis of the development of my own garden in the suburbs of London England. The idea is, that a walk in the garden provides fruit to nibble on, or the fruit for a desert, or the ingredients for jams or summer drinks. Most however, feeds the wildlife food chain.

I have grown an array of trees from seed and grafted fruit trees onto many of the existing weed-trees.

The subject of the documentary would be the design of my own garden, my gardening philosophy, and technical issues such as grafting and propagation.

I would like to talk to anyone with the time, finance, experience and determination to make and market the documentary.

Sorry if this is verging on advertising, and not strictly about writing

Stunmilie

Comments (6)

• eddie_ga_7a
    19 years ago

Exciting topic for me as I give talks on Edible Landscaping and feature some of it on my web site, bittersweetgardens, but your line "I would like to talk to anyone with the time, finance, experience and determination to make and market the documentary." reads almost like you want someone besides yourself to create and pay for this documentary. Nothing wrong with that if you can find a person or business willing to do so. You are correct that the topic is not about garden writing but it is close enough as it would garden "communication." I wish you luck.

• stunmilie
    Original Author
    19 years ago

You are largely correct. In financial terms, I cannot afford to hire a filmcrew, and in technical terms, I cannot be at both sides of a camera at the same time.

• eddie_ga_7a
    19 years ago

Not many responses to your post but you can bet many are reading it and have similar questions on this and related topics.

• clfo
    19 years ago

Stunmilie,
    If there are any schools in your area that have film/video departments you could put up notices on the bulletin boards there  perhaps a young filmmaker would see this as a good documentary to start out with. Also, if there is a film/video website to connect people in the UK (such as the following in New England: www.newenglandfilm.com) put postings there. Local film critics for television my have some leads for you because sometimes employees of TV stations do video work on the side.
    Good luck, clfo

• Video_Garden
    19 years ago

I think I can give you some tips, so feel welcomed to e-mail me. For starters, you will have to write a treatment which is one to one & 1/2 pages long. It will describe in short form what the documentary will be about. This can also be used in making the "pitch," to interested distributors or producers. After that, believe it or not, you will have to begin writing a script for your documentary. Following up with a screenplay. Even though documentaries are viewed as being a 'spur of the moment' type film, there is usually a screenplay base at the start. Begin thinking about putting the words or text you would like to use in terms of placing them beside images/shots. This will help you in narrowing down your scope and will allow you to visualize the limitations of what you are capable of shooting in terms of finance and timing. For instance, if one scene takes place in the spring, and another in the fall, then you can be assured that the shooting will most probably be extended over the period of a year. If you are changing locations from the desert to someplace close to home, then there are travelling/insurance/financial issues involved for you and the crew. Also, if you are planning to have this documentary broadcast on television, keep in mind that your film may be edited by someone working at the station without your consent (although this depends on the station, but it is generally understood that television editors and producers will try to alter the product to make it more marketable and presentable for their cable network/station. In regards to financing, you will need to attract a producer. This is where the written work/treatment/script comes into play. Use it to "pitch" your story to whomever you would like to have help you out and become interested in this documentary. Also, start performing research on how to obtain local grants or government grants for your project. Find out what organizations are available at hand to help out beginner filmmakers to recieve their grants for documentaries. A film/video budget will also be required, as you apply for these grants. Overall, I hope some of this is not overwhelming for a beginner, so again e-mail me if you have questions & good luck.

• oscarmagwaza
    19 years ago

I am a new user and reside in South Africa.I would like to make a Documentary .Its gonna be about a personal experience which took place about 9 years ago when I was in high school.It involves various incidences which cannot be proven visually but they are actual incidents. How do I go about.... the script , interviews.The thing is I dont want it to be some kind of talking heads all the time.Your help would be appreciated.

Sponsored
Custom Residential Homes & Full Service Renovations