Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acj7000

Advice for writers

acj7000
20 years ago

Anyone who wants to have a finger on the pulse of what is current should wander into the Garden Party. There are more writers there than here strangely. There is more honesty too. My advice for writers is to check in at the Garden Party forum. It was something like what I had hoped for on this board but people are just not up for it and I am lost for ideas of how to connect so I am disconnecting. To those with different plans who have found me irritating: sayanora.

Comments (5)

• trudi_d
    20 years ago

Acj, in order to post on the GP you need contributing membership...I hope you get a gold star on your page so you can post there soon. They'd love to chat with you.

FWIW, life is what you make of it. One of the easiest places to begin garden writing is right here on the GW. Tool around in the Forums and look for any that need FAQ editors, and then start doing a few how-tos. Add your own style and flair to them and you'll be very proud of your effort. Then you'll have something to show for your effort, as well as proof that you're knowledgable in a specific area. Writing FAQs is a really good springboard....give it a try, I love doing them, and I think you would too.

Trudi Davidoff

• eddie_ga_7a
    20 years ago

Well I certainly have enjoyed your comments though sometimes they might be construed as acerbic (if that's the right word) but I feel you were only trying to get us to think. You are quite a wit and I do hope you will drop back in from time to time. I agree, you have done everything humanly possible to draw writers out of their shell and encourage them to contribute to this forum. So, should we throw you an Internet goodbye party with cyber-ice cream and cyber-cake? I for one will miss you. At times we have had some fun.

• seamommy
    20 years ago

I have found different tones and different ideals in all of the GW forums I have visited. This one does seem slightly stifled. I guess my fav has been the Garden Junk forum.

In the GJ there are new posts every hour of the day and night. Lots of conversations going on about a myriad of other subjects among those who post. Actual friendships and person to person visits that have occurred out of the forum.

These are people who are truely inspired by one another, who enthusiastically encourage each other, share pictures, albums, web-sites. Even Roses and Organics forums seem staid and stagnant when compared to the "junkers".

Garden Junk is fast moving, exciting, funny, and very off-beat. These are people without many inhibitions. If you get nothing else from a GW forum after you've logged off, you should at least have been entertained.

When people try to outdo one another with their vast degree of technical knowledge, it gets as dry as a textbook. You might as well leave the creative end of it and go to the library and peruse the dusty stacks. The forums are for fun and the sharing of knowledge and/or experience. If I want to learn a subject, I take a class.

If I wasn't having fun here I wouldn't come back either. Cheryl

• chrismd
    20 years ago

Strange how the negative comments are more memorable than the prositive ones. Acj - i always enjoy your posts even when I don't agree with them.

• eddie_ga_7a
    20 years ago

Somewhere people laugh, and somewhere people shout, but there is no joy at the garden writers forum, mighty ACJ has cut out.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio