Return to the Garden Writers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is this part of the job

Posted by katycopsey Z5bPA (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 27, 06 at 20:26

I do commercial blog for a lawn chemical company (don't whine they pay and its a job). The entry is one per week and I tout their weed and feed etc. My email/web page is at the bottom which if they use the web page clearly states I am a freelance writer. But... this guy keeps asking me questions. Should he put the stuff down now or later, what do I mean by 'spring?' is it just a line that the company uses that is delivers at the right time etc; this last one was his state advises 5 lawn treatments per yr 3 in spring 2 in fall - weird I thought, and he wanted to know how this stuff with slow release needed only 2 applications/yr.
So my question is - is this part of my job? I do not work directly for the company, but I don't want to take their side vs a state and the guy is annoying. Oneor two quesions is one thing, but this is like he wants me to be his personal lawn care coach.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is this part of the job

I think we all have run into people like that who want you to actually go to their house and hold their hand while they apply the stuff. Try this; look up the Extension office in the state he lives in then answer all his questions by saying "Since I do not live in the same state as you, it might be best if you contact your LOCAL county agent for specific advice related to your zone." Then give him the Extension link and if he asks again, repeat the information.

o

You may want to refer him to the customer service department of your client. I have been in a similar situation and this tactic seems to work. Good luck!

o

>>You may want to refer him to the customer service department of your client. I have been in a similar situation and this tactic seems to work. Good luck! <<

This I did do and got a the answer that they know him well! The prevailing wisdom right now is that he has transferred his needs to me, and I should keep the answers short, polite and link to the ext office.

Its the tone of the guy that is weird - its as though he wants me/the company to admit that we use 'a line' to grab customers; or that he wants us to battle against the state ag.people. I don't get the mentality of the guy and frankly don't want to. I would be really worried if he lived anywhere withing 100 miles of me too.

o

That's a bit scary. How about sending out a bland "Thank you for your inquiry but at this time we are not able to answer individual questions" or some version of that. And then don't answer any more questions from him. And I hate to say it, but make sure the company, your family, and others know about this situation, including the guy's name and address. The key is not to reply, ever. And maybe take your email and website out of the company's site and have any future inquiries directed thru their site instead.

o

puzzled \!:!!

Here is a link that might be useful: myspace layouts

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Writers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here