Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michaelshirazi

Is this a forum where all the professional writers discuss stuff?

Michaelshirazi
20 years ago

Hello to everyone!

I was just wondering if this forum is dedicated to professional writers?

Comments (12)

• lazy_gardens
    20 years ago

Scan the posts and see if we are professional enough for you.

• Michaelshirazi
    Original Author
    20 years ago

well you are all writers, am I right?

• trianglejohn
    20 years ago

Nope - I'm an illustrator. That doesn't stop me from adding my two cents worth from time to time.

• lazy_gardens
    20 years ago

I am a full-time professional writer. I just don't write about gardens.

• eddie_ga_7a
    20 years ago

It would be nice if this forum was visited by professional writers and lots of them but we take what we can get. I enjoy the viewpoints of those who are not writers as long as we stay (loosely) on topic. Now that you are here, give us a more specific question.

• trudi_d
    20 years ago

I write all the time about my gardening. There's a forum on the GW formed for discussion of one of my essays. I do write gardening courses and instructional manuals and have formed an NFP corp for teaching gardening. And I have membership in Garden Writers Association. So I guess I'm pro....just wish I could make some bucks at it, lol! Don't ever expect to see Garden Writer and Wealthy as it's adjective.

• ketzel
    20 years ago

Hmm...I'm a professional writer (3 books published and working on the fourth), but not about gardens. However, I do write *in* my garden. Does that count?

• tandyslashcrazy
    20 years ago

I love to write...but I'm definitely not professional! and I don't write about gardens only. in fact, I write about other stuff more often than not...so what do people in this forum do? post essays and stuff and then discuss them? is all the writing about gardens?

• lazy_gardens
    20 years ago

Ketzel -
    I write while LOOKING at my garden. Being IN one would be better, but it was 91° at dawn (37 °C for you metric folk) and it's headed for 112°, with humidity.

tandyslashcrazy -
    "so what do people in this forum do? post essays and stuff and then discuss them?"
    Ask me to write an essay and I'll ask what the pay is. :)

It's more about writing as a way of earning money - contracts, editors, how to get article ideas - than writing for the sake of writing. It's not a matter of skill, it's a way of thinking ... I have no problem being crassly commercial and selling my brain children, innermost thoughts and random musings to any editor who writes checks that don't bounce.

• HollyMG
    20 years ago

To lazygardens, are you a writer for a magazine or do you write books? You said full time. I was wondering if you had a steady gig... Maybe you write for a newspaper?

• lazy_gardens
    20 years ago

Holly -
    I work as a contractor - high-tech temp agencies rent me out to companies that need something written. Usually I'm writing manuals for electronics and software - manuals that the designers and engineers will use. Look at the manuals that came with your computer: now imagine what the manuals for the CHIPS in the computer are like =:O

I've done a bit of magazine writing, but it's far more work. As a contractor I get paid by the hour, whether they publish it or not.

• habanerohead
    20 years ago

By way of introduction: I work as a technical writer, documenting some of the systmes and software used by the Defense Commissary Agency to stock their stores.

In 1993 I wrote a set of essays covering the year as I spent it on Rabbit Ridge in rural Ohio. Much of that is about gardening, though there are other topics.

Here is a link that might be useful: Notes from Rabbit Ridge